Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Question about sticking throttle on R500

clarkey

Luckily, sticking closed, not open.....

Sometimes the throttle on my R500 needs a really firm press to work, usually at low speed. This is clearly not ideal in a car not suited to light throttle openings at the best of times, and can cause you to coast out onto a roundabout before stamping far too hard onto the throttle....

Its not quite as extreme as it sounds, but it is annoying and makes accurate throttle control a pain in the bum. I've replaced the throttle cable in case it is that, but it hasn't really done anything. Does anyone have any ideas for other easy solutions? Or is it likely to be a problem with the roller barrels?

Advice appreciated, cheers.

Minister do recommend that the roller barrels are overhauled periodically because they can get sticky. How old is your car?

Has it always been like this? If so, the geometry of the throttle pedal may need to be adjusted (by bending bits of metal. Doing so on mine made it much easier on the initial throttle opening, which as you say is very important on a car like that. You can often have this trouble if the cable doesn't have enough slack. It may be worth trying to slacken it off a bit.

The other thing that occurs to me is the plastic bit used to adjust the slack at the roller barrel end. If it is not pushed fully back, it can produce the symptom you describe, so make sure it is fully in place when you slacken it off.

The car is early (chassis number 3) but has been completely overhauled. I'm not sure if the the roller barrels have been done.

I've only had the car for 3 months, and I'm sure it wasn't like this when i first got it. I'll fiddle with alignment and check the adjuster, and if that doesn't work get the roller barrels rebuilt.

Thanks for your help.