Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New 170 build sequence

Graham Hutton

I was looking at the photos of the PR stunt Caterham did to build a new 170 in the Portsmouth tower. Looks to me like the 170 is assembled by putting the gearbox and bell housing in first and then dropping the engine in afterwards. How easy would that be! The engine is so physically tiny you could probably drop it in without an engine crane. There isn't an assembly manual for the 170 on the Caterham website yet but I thought it was interesting. Perhaps not quite as interesting as putting a big engine in and going faster mind you :-)

I wouldn't read anything into that build, the car already had a number plate so it was already registered. You can see the bell housing has clutch dirt in it, the discs where rusty etc. so it had been used.  That car must have been disassembled for the the PR stunt.

I remember when I built my car having a question about adjusting the clutch or some such. Derek wasn't available and I was put in touch with an engineer at the Midlands branch. 

He told me that when they build they always fit the box first and then the engine.He said it was easier that way. I couldn't, and still can't understand why. 

• Leadership Team

As you will read in the next edition of LF, I watched some of the Seven 170 build and thought that CC might have forgotten a key tool as there was no engine hoist present.  

And then they showed just how light the engine is to lift by hand (one of the benefits of putting it in separately from the gearbox I guess).  Definitely went a long way to showing how the 440kg weight is reached *byebye*  

• 10 months later...