Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Change rear brake pads - 1999 K-series (std brakes)

JP

I'm going to go over the brakes to see what may need replacing during my rebuild and looking at my Owner's Manual there is talk of using a Ford special tool to wind back the calipers.

I have a wind back tool somewhere for an old car that I no longer have, but it is not a Ford special tool.  Will any tool do?  Or does anyone have any recommendations?

I used a cheap one from Euro car parts for my standard rear pads. It took quite a bit of heft to turn it but it worked ok. My main worry was to avoid damaging the fixed brake lines whilst applying the force needed.  

Cheers Guy.  That looks like what I've got.  I'll experiment at the weekend...

I was just a bit alarmed by the wording in the Owner's Manual that suggested that the tool was hard to find and that I would have to beg a local Ford Dealership to borrow it.  Maybe I shouldn't trust a 21 year-old Owner's Manual...

I do get you Guy, I really do - I have a garage full of "special tools" for cars and fancy carbon/ titanium bikes -it simply was not readily available and I wanted the work done and it had zero impact on the end result, hence the end tips of the pliers and not leverage  *thumbup*