Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Rivets to Replacement Boot Cover

bstark

I have replaced the std roll bar on my 7 for an FIA one, and have had to replace the boot cover to suit the new bar. I've fitted the bar and the front section of the new boot cover to the car (ie. the bit with the metal strip in) but I have a few questions about the remaining poppers.

Caterham didn't supply any fitting instructions (I gather this is normal, if bloody irritating / perplexing practice?) but they did give me a parts list for the fixings.

They provided:

6 rivets (1/8 x 0.39")

6 Durable Dot Fasteners

14 Durable Dot Fastener Sockets

14 Durable Dot Fastener Buttons

(as well as 8 Veltex fastener bases and 6 screws)

Is it just me, or do these numbers not add up? The old cover that came with the car had 14 riveted fasteners on it but if I only have 6 rivets I can only fit 6 fasteners. If I need 2 for the opening flap, that only leaves 2 each side - is this right? If so, which are the preferred hood poppers to line up with?

I have also never riveted anything before so can someone tell me if there is a specific rivet gun I should look for? Do I need a specific combination of the above parts for each fastener? Where can I buy a gun from (and more fasteners / rivets if necessary?).

Any help is much appreciated!

Bob Stark

Supersprint first-timer

Hi Bob,

There is a place just outside Watford, called Orbital Fasteners, they can supply various riviting guns and rivits to suit your requirements. There contact no. is 01923 777777 (apt number...!!) or via the internet at : www.orbital-fasteners.co.uk

A note of caution : Whatever gun you purchase, take care not to slip when the gun fires... I suggest getting hold of a piece of plastic, say the top of an old tupper-ware box, cut a hole in it just bigger than the popper and place this on the bodywork prior to riviting... it will save any mishaps with denting or chipping your paintwork....!

Regards

Mark

Bob,

The only need for fitting rivets on the boot cover is for the front one either side which is used to attach a base onto the top of the boot cover (rather than a popper button) to allow the fitment of the tonneau. With live axle cars this may be two each side - help my memory is fading fast!

You should have used the screws to have fixed up to 6 bases along the leading edge of the boot cover. For 12 of the 14 rear fittings all you need to do is use the popper button with the fastener socket using the standard tool (a small hollowed out metal base to support the button and a striker - supplied by Caterham) and a hammer. If you don't have a tonneau cover do all 14 this way.

Get Caterham to send you the tool and the instructions from the manual if you get really stuck....

As for riveters you don't need anything special - just one that will take the various rivet sizes without choking!

Best Regards,

Brian