Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow fluid capacities

Graham Sewell

I have just started the springtime service on the trusty 1700 supersprint and having drained the coolant by undoing the bottom hose, and drained the oil from the sump pan and removing the oil filter, I find that the volumes of coolant and oil needed to fill the engine are significantly less than the manual states.

eg. oil - manual says 3.3l it actually used 2.5l

coolant - manual says 5.7l (inc heater) it actually used just over 4l

Is it just a case that you cannot fully drain either fluid and hence there is some residual bulk left, or have I missed something obvious. For the coolant, I did let the engine warm up to the point where the thermostat cracked open and collant seemed to move freely. When I put the pressure cap on I got a small amount pushed into the overflow tank.

Cheers

Graham

Cheers,

Graham

---

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I've moved to a sealed system on mine - do you still have the original cooling system? I remember taking pains to make sure all the air was out of the system. I did things like jacking the car up both ends to tilt it, also squeezing the large hoses, etc. This often resulted in large quantities of air being dislodged.

Oil - did you fill the new oil filter up before replacing it? I don't think it would hold 0.8 litres though. I guess oil would also be held inside the oil pump.

Has the sump pan ever had a good bash? If it has a large dent in it that might account for half a litre.

Anthony

Edited by - ashaughnessy on 24 Apr 2006 14:23:04

It is the original cooling system - not pressurised reservoir.

The car seemed to drive ok on a quick test drive and did not seem to have the levels drop on return - albeit waiting for the car to cool down before checking coolant level.

Cheers,

Graham

---

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!