Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Gauge Problem

David Miller

Help! I've finally got round to swapping fuel tanks on my 1990 XF. Everything has gone fine until I turn the ignition on and the fuel gauge shows full with only a gallon of fuel in. I reconnected the green & red wire to the top of the sender and two black ones to the top of the body of the sender. The fuel gauge is a VDO. Without being too technical what is likely to be wrong please?

'Here comes the Miller man' (apologies to Human League) in a red supersprint with clamshells.

Looks like I need a Smiths gauge. The serial no on the sender unit is TB1114/034 which Google comes up with Smiths. On the old rusty unit I can just make out ?DO. Will the Smiths gauge just swap with the VDO or will some wiring have to be modified?

'Here comes the Miller man' (apologies to Human League) in a red supersprint with clamshells.

David

It must be something to do with the earting.

I had a problem with my gauge reading half full but no fuel in the tank ? (1989 X/flow)

I solved the problem by removing the sender unit, and cleaning up the contacts for the live an earth wires. While the unit was out of the tank with the 'live' wires connected and the ignition on I found I could make the needle swop from full to empty by earting the body of the send to earth.

I can only assume you have a bad earth connection.

Best of luck

Richard