Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sloping seats

John E

I've recently fitted a pair of second hand leather seats into my long cockpit car and feel that whilst they are more supportive than the previous bench version there is a tendancy for my frame to want to slide forward. This is probably because there is not a lot of thigh support. Is it sensible to consider an alloy spacer under the front fixing point or will the raising of the bracket from the floor cause a problem. Any other suggestions gladly received.

Thanks guys. I'll try the washer route first.

Andrew, happy new year.

Did this impact upon the support given by the floor to the bracket, I was thinking that a spacer at the front would lift the bracket and that this would have to be supported by a sort of wedge shaped device or a slightly thinner spacer at intervals.

If one were to put a washer under the leading fixing on the slider rails then there would be an increase in the pressure applied at that point. At present the pressure is distributed along the whole of the slider rail (even though it's only bolted on at either end).This in turn transmits the load to the ali floorpan.I suspect that a 'raising' washer would need to be fairly tall to create a reasonble cure to your sliding forward problem (15mm+)& if a heavy dose of sharp braking took place the floor pan could 'stretch'.Depends on your weight too I guess. A tapered wedge is an answer (in timber?).

This is just as I see it OK?

Thanks Andrew and others for input. Hope to fit a replacement g,box over the next week or so but appart from that and until I get another job sorted, finish current at end of March, then any fancy ideas will have to stay on hold. What about you?

No great improvements this winter....still recovering from the unexpected 'refresh' after my oil blow out last year.....needed rather more than just a top-up with Comma Syna G !!!!!

With North Yorkshire roads being so liberally coated with salt at this time of year the Seven tends to stay indoors and I let the other cars take the punishment but after a total brake failure on my run-to-work car, due to total corrosion of front discs on an 18 month old car( A Renault!!) I am now questioning that decision......maybe the Seven would last better!

Looking forward to Spring or at least dry, salt free roads. Determined to get some more use out of the beast this year.

Andrew

John

I have had a chance to look at my set up and remember now why my seats had to be 'jacked up' at the front. My chassis is an early Vauxhall race chassis which I think has extra diagonal bracing across the the floor, under the seats. This brace prevents the seat runners from lying flat on the alloy floor panel as descibed by Chris Clark.

The weight of the seats is carried by the front and rear mounting and as the front bolts pass through the chassis cross member, I have experienced no problems in the passed 6 years of use. I have used large washers on either side of the fitting bolts to spread the load just in case, though.

The spacers are as previously described, about 3/4" in depth and about 1" in diameter.

To do a belt and braces approach I would agree that a wooden wedge might give the maximum support and spread of load, in addition to the spacers.

I seem to recall that you are probably a little lighter than me, and so I will leave it to you to decide the most appropriate method.

Hope this helps.

Andrew