Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Self-cancelling indicators

Chris W

I have designed and made my own steering-wheel mounted indicator switching circuit which is self-cancelling after a user preset time or by touching the wheel mounted switch a second time.

Also, if you are doing a quick, say, right/left combo turn or vice versa, a touch of the opposite indicator switch will automatically cancel the current indicator and switch on the opposite indicator. It also contains a beeper with adjustable volume control. It's microprocessor controlled so very easy to reprogram for additional/different functions. see my website (click below) for photos.

The switch off delay is user selectable from a choice of 15, 25, 35 or 45 seconds. (I can program other values if the concensus want something different). The unit can be cancelled ahead of self-cancelling by a second push of the appropriate steering wheel switch.

The integral buzzer has a volume adjustment and a switch to disable it if no buzzer is required. The whole unit (see my website - click below) is about 4" x 2" x 1" approx and can be double-adhesive taped under the dash.

The main circuit board is a properly etched unit not just a piece of stripboard. I may also offer a reduced price kit of parts for those who are confident about soldering the parts together themselves. The parts kit would of course come with the microprocessor fully programmed and ready to plug into its socket. All ready-built units will be fully tested before despatch.

For those who have a removable (QR) wheel like me, I will provide a simple snap-in connector for the back of the wheel to allow the connecting wires to be disconnected when the wheel is removed.

The prices are:

Option 1: £63 for the ready-to-install, fully tested fixed wheel version

Option 2: £68 for the ready-to-install ,fully tested Q/R wheel version.

Option 3: Parts kit for self-build inc fully programmed microprocessor, electronic components, box, switches and etched & drilled board for fixed wheel version £50.

Option 4: as Option 3 but for Q/R wheel version £55.

All options will come with full installation instructions (and building instructions for options 3 & 4).

You must specify which option you require when ordering and I would need £30 up front (cheque) for all options to confirm your order with the balance by cheque prior to shipment.

BTW, the functionality of the normal hazard flasher switch is totally unaffected by the addtion of this circuit.

I estimate it will take about 3-4 weeks to complete and test 10 of them in my spare time but I will send them out on a first come-first served basis as I finish them so if you order earlier you will receive them earlier.

see "TechTalk here" for more threads about this project.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 1 Apr 2006 13:10:53