Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stub axle removal problems

MonkeyBoy

Hi all,

I'm managed to shear the thread on a front stub axle on my 1700 live axle 7 last week. I've never taken this part of the car apart before so not really sure what i'm doing but i've had a bit of a read of blatchat and managed to get stuck in.

I've removed the wheel, the brake calliper, the steering thingy, removed the bell shaped thingy, removed split pin and castellated nut, this allowed me to remove the hub and disk exposing the main bearing. My problems are:

How do i remove the bearing from the upright ? I tried a bit of brute force but i didn't want to damage it.

I was going to take the upright to some local garage to remove the stub axle as you need a hydraulic press from what i have read. Which way does it come out ? I assume it comes out the road side of the upright (if that makes sense!)

How do i remove the upright from the top wishbone ? I've undone the nut under the upright, but it is still connected, i can't seem to see how you get the two apart ? 😳

I haven't phoned Caterham yet but i assume they will supply a new stub axle, how do i fit it ? Is it a case of putting it in the fridge and the upright in the oven then a bit of force ?

Sorry for the numpty questions, and advice much appreciated

Cheers

Alistair

Alistair,

The stub axle knocks out as you say, on the road side. The nut on the back is done up to (I think) 60ft lb, and the axle is shaped to match the upright, and is pressure fitted with the nut . If you are replacing it, then give it a smack with a big hammer (several times) and it will move.

The wheel bearings don't require much force to move - a number of gentle taps and they will push off (use a smallish drift).

I'm at work at the moment and don't have access to the build manual, but give me a call this evening and I'll talk you through what I can remember - wiht the aid of car and book.

Dave H

(phone number in LF Sussex East AO)

Monkeyboy

I have just done this - see here

A simple way to get the balljoint out of the wishbone is to put a 2" bolt between the axle part of the upright and the bottom of the balljoint. It works really easily - see here.

At this time of the year the bearing races will be reluctant to come out. Put the hub in front of a fan heater for 10 mins. This will heat everything up and the races will drift out (tap them out using a metal rod from the inside alternating sides so that it comes out straight. Put the new ones in the freezer before putting them in).

Steve

Alister the stub axle is a taper fit, possibly a Morse taper, which means it is a self locking angle, so as the two components are placed together there will be a natural tendency for them to lock together, the nut on the inboard side makes sure they remain in place.

As for removing the axle from the upright, my suggestion is to use a ball joint breaker to seperate the top link from the arm, and as you have removed the lower mounting, and if the steering arm is seperated you should have the upright in your hand, with the stub axle in place, if you know someone with a hydraulic press, any half decent engineering company should have one, take it along there, and for the price of a couple of pints, job done, and no damage to the upright, don't listen to the butchers with their "smack it with two hammers" nonsense, using hammers is a last resort.

Even with the stuffed nut, is it the nut that's shagged or the thread on the axle? much cheaper to buy a new nut than a new axle, but as said above any decent workshop should be able to help you with removal, especially if their leaning is to motor engineering.

Well done for being brave enough to have a go at tackling this. It's difficult to sit here and try to tap out a "How too" guide, as I can go for this stuff and see what's needed and do it, but stick with it fella, you'll get it fixed ready for when the sun shines again, mail back if you need more info, I'll try to help, after the grog has passed through the system, cheers for now on a Friday evening Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Many thanks for the advice guys *thumbup*

I managed to remove the upright from the upper wishbone, tried hitting it and the bolt method but bought a ball joint splitter in the end from Halfords (£7 for a forked bit of metal with a bolt!) which worked a treat.

Spent most of Saturday afternoon trying to find a garage with a press that would help me out - not as easy as I had first imagined but found somewhere eventually. So, I’ve ordered the new bits, so just have to put it all together again *smile* Thanks again for your help and offer of telephone support, as always its much appreciated *thumbup* *thumbup*

Cheers

Alistair