Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I Hate Rivnuts - Job Sorted

alan7

Started taking off my rear wings last night at about 18:30

1st wing, 1st 5 nuts & bolts came off in about 10 minutes

Then I came to the bolts held in rivnuts *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* what a pain!

Ok so I accept the inside panels have to come off to get at those that spin around but even with a mole wrench holding them tight it was still barstewards. *mad*

Eventually got the wing off by 20:15 & retired for the night not fancying the same routine on the other side as a quick urn on each showed that they were loose as well 🙆🏻

Is their any other method of securing the rear wings to the bodywork or do I have to use the dreaded rivnuts again & risk the same knuckle skinning routine next time I want them off?

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

Edited by - alan7 on 10 Mar 2006 17:09:55

Use nylon screws next time and you can replace the crap rivnuts CC use with larger outside diameter ones from RS Components. They are still M5 but are more substantial and are splined to help prevent turning in the parent metal.

I normally fit these with a drop of Loctite on the shoulders which also helps prevent them working loose and turning. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

I have removed all the rivnuts from my car a few years ago - hateful things - replaced them all with nuts & bolts. Where they intrude into the cockpit I've used machine screws - round heads so they won't catch on clothing etc.

Dave H

Hi why don't you use Anchor nuts which are held on with small pop rivets, that what we use on blind holes in the aircraft industary, I think you get them from Demon Tweeks not sure thou the part number is MS21061-L3 this is for the one with the rivets that hold it on on one side, and the part number for the one that the rivet fastens both sides isMS21075-L3N for 3/16 or -L4N for 1/4. IF Demon Tweeks don't have them an Aircraft supplier will have them. Regards Paul

Edited by - Paul Formston on 9 Mar 2006 08:00:53

Thanks for all the advice & help *thumbup*

Job sorted via Trident Racing supplies

M5 fixed anchor nuts = 69p each

M5 bolts = 8p each

M5 nylock nuts = 3p each

all +VAT

Ordered yesterday @ 15:00, arrived today first thing - now that's what I call service *thumbup*.

Job for the week end *cool*

• Area Representative

I like the look of those anchor nuts, I might just have to get me some of those. Cheers *thumbup*

Copious quantities of copper slip didn't stop my rivnuts seizing and turning BTW.

Crudders

The M5 nyloc nuts & bolts are for replacing the original ones that you can get at from inside the boot & under the wheel arch.

Got the other wing off & it only took me 1h 30 mins *thumbup* must be getting good at it *eek*