Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clayton Heater

GuyT

I seem to have a weep of coolant coming into the passenger footwell so assume it's coming from the heater matrix. I haven't "had the back off it" yet so don't know exactly where it's coming from. The matrix is made by Clayton and it's the non fresh air steel box type on a '92 HPC. Clayton can make a one off at a price of £195 assuming it is this that's shot. Questions are, so that when I take it off at the weekend I have a path to follow:-

Has anyone come across one of these matrices leaking before?

Does anyone know of someone who could repair it in the Bicester / Aylesbury area?

Has anyone got a sound one they want to part with?

I am a bit loathed to go the radweld route as it all seems a bit temporary to me.

Many thanks GuyT

Guy, I have a '92 HPC also. As you have done, found coolant seeping into the passenger footwell. Unfortunately this was on the eve of our departure on the 2004 Bordeaux Blat. I pulled the heater out and short circuited the feed and return pipes with some 22mm copper pipe and a couple of hose clamps, blanked off the holes with some ally sheet and it's never gone back, don't miss it at all and it leaves a lovely space for the jack and tools and spare parts when touring.

Foxy,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately SWMBO likes a bit of warmth during the colder months so getting rid of the heater is not really an option. Did you ever examine your heater to find where the leak was - by all accounts if it is anything to do with the core, it becomes pretty un-fixable.

RGDS GuyT

Guy, it was the core, i did look with a view to a repair as I'm handy with the old soldering iron but it wasn't fixable. Mrs S is also partial to a bit of warmth in the car as well but there have been no complaints. What I did do which has made quite a difference to footwell temperatures was to build a tight fitting shroug around the radiator. Now there is no air gap between the rad and the nose cone, all the air goes thru the rad and our feet are relatively toasty in the winter and festering and sweaty in the summer *confused* but at least the engine's happy.