Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fitting S-type seats

Peter Lydford

I've just bought some lovely S-type seats for my 1996 live axel x/flow. I've removed the old leather seats which are now on ebay, to find out the fixing points for the S-type are in a different position, straight through the floor. Aparantly later cars have some chassis rails under the floor for the sear bolts to go through and also giving extra support. I don't want to simply bolt the seats to the floor, so before I go making some brackets to strengthen the floor does anyone know if there is a fitting kit or adaptor brackets etc: already available and where to get it ?

Thanks

Peter - no idea if there is a 'kit' but the 'brackets' under our car are simply short lengths of 'U'- shaped ali channel, bolts go through floor and these. Pretty crude - just spreading the load. I popped our 'new' S type seats in this last weekend.

www.mycaterham.com

here

88,500 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Ours were not, no - as I took the bolts out, they just fell off, so sandwiched to the floor by the bolts.

Don't see any reason why you cannot do as you say and use the old holes to mount them to - make drilling the extra holes easier!

One thing - for some reason the channels on the drivers side ran front to back (longitudinally, parallel to the kerb, yet on the passengers side, they went across the car, ie - one channel for the 2 front bolts, one channel for the 2 rear bolts *confused* *smile*)

www.mycaterham.com

here

88,500 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Peter

Mine doesn't have any U section rails under the car - just a large washer, about 1.5" diameter that each bolt goes through to help spead the load. (1998 SuperSport) & I've never had any problems with them. Just taken them out to repaint the floor & everyhing looks OK - even found a £ coin under the back rest *eek*

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

• Area Representative

Peter,

Later S types do bolt straight through the floor and there is a strengthening U shaped piece of alloy to help support the driver's/passenger's weight. You can buy the shaped alloy from Caterham at around £20 or so plus P&P. It does rivet into the chassis rails and prevents the floor from bowing over a period of time.... I suppose it depends on whether you are particularly heavy or not 😳 *wink*

HTH

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

If you are talking about supporting the rear of the seats then Arch do a bracket that picks up on the seatbelt mountings and goes accross the car. First fitted to Alex Wongs car and christened the Wong bracket. Explain what you need to Bruce at Arch.