Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New tyre bobbles

grumpy the 7th

Just had new wheels & new AO21's

I know the posibility of them "not" being in balance is a factor but I saw them balance all the wheels. (of course the machine could be out)

Question - can the bobbles on new tyres affect the balancing??? I feel a wobble between 65ish to 75/80ish.

Should I wait for them to wear off (already done 40 miles) orget them rechecked?????

rog

C7 TNT - it's Dynamite!(Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey)

Could be that one of the new wheel-weights has come off already?

I can't imagine that the injection-stubble would have any real effect - and if anything, it would likely get worse as they disappeared (being as the wheels were balanced with them in place).

if your wheels are the same front and rear, it's probably worth swapping them over and seeing if that makes any difference. We did this with a locals car who had reasonably-severe wobble through the wheel at speed, and it was much better with the axle-sets swapped over - pointing to a clear wheel imbalance in the (original) front set.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 1 Oct 2005 18:27:00

Balancers can get out of calibration. I have had problems with badly balanced tyres twice in recent years. Just recheck the pressures before you return them as a large pressure difference between front tyres can make them seem out of balance

Edited by - Graham Perry on 1 Oct 2005 21:51:17

I have swapped them front to back on a 1 to 1 basis and not much difference & used the spare - Tyre presures checked & all 4 at same pressure (18psi) Took them back for rebalancing & 4 were 5 to 10 grams out but only a bit better driving as steering wobbles at late 60's to low 80's ☹️

I'm going to take them elsewhere for balancing (I'll get them checked before they take the weights off them)

I'll post a seperate post on another finding I've experienced since changing tyres.

rog

C7 TNT - it's Dynamite!(Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey)

I had the front re-balanced twice at one place - perhaps on the same equip.

Took them elsewhere and the problem was sorted. The first place did some tin top wheels/tyres for me but they were perfect.

I put the problem on the 7 at that place down to light car, quickrack etc and their equipment not calibrated well enough for that setup.

Ask for dynamic balancing - should be anyway for the front I believe.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Static balancing means balancing in a single plane. Dynamic means balancing in more than one plane. Static balancing *can* be done (but is rarely) without spinning the object in question, dynamic balancing can only be done by spinning the part.

Anything that's essentially flat only needs a static balance - e.g. imagine balancing a CD, if you find something which fits the hole and mount it with the CD vertical (your 'axle' horizontal) in frictionless bearings, then it will rotate and stop with the the heaviest point at to bottom.

Now imagine something with significant length along it's rotational axis, e.g. a propshaft. You could put opposing weights (180 degrees opposite) on at opposite ends and it would remain statically balanced, but it's dynamic balance (i.e. when spinning) would be appalling.

For wheels, the wider the wheel the more essential it is to dynamically balance it.

Mike