Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear brake oddness

Mike Bees

When I fitted my new £££ Pagid pads earlier on in the summer I did as the nice man at Performance Braking recommended and gave the discs a good going over with some nice sharp aluminium oxide paper. Just had a look at the rear discs the evening and the outside of each disc has clearly done a goodly amount of braking and the pad has bedded into it nicely. The inside of each disc however has done next to jack schitt. There has been some light contact in the centre 1/3rd (radially speaking) of the contact area, but not much, and none towards the inner and outer 1/3rds of the contact area.

What gives?

Mike

Edited by - Mike Bees on 21 Sep 2005 09:24:33

Is this at the front or rear? Std. or Big brakes?

All I can say at this point (having spent in excess of four hours - spread over two occasions - doing what you did with the emery-paper and discs) is that I found it b*ggeringly hard-work doing a decent job on the insides of the discs due to access issues - I've not noticed any differential wear across the inner surfaces though.

Have you pulled the pads to check for uneven wear there? The Peformance Braking instructions I received with my RS15s do mention checking that at least 80% of the pad surface is making contact between the first bedding-in process (high speed) and the second (very high speed).

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

There is the old warped disc myth-busting advice: "Do not use regular sand paper or emery cloth as the aluminum oxide abrasive material will permeate the cast iron surface and make the condition worse. Use garnet paper."

I have seen uneven wear caused by impacted brake dust on the caliper. I tend to clean up all the points on the calipers where the brake pads slide with a wire brush fitting on a dremel and apply the lightest smear of copaslip.

Can't say that I've seen wear in the middle but not at the edges before.

Fancy a 210 bhp Quaife sequential roadgoing Seven- Click here now it's reduced to UKP15500

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 21 Sep 2005 10:06:08

I tried in vain to get some garnet paper - but the folk-lore might as well have specified the soles of mouse-shoes given the size of the challenge of finding the damned stuff for sensible prices (if at all).

Emery-paper/cloth was all that was available easily/locally/at all. I decided to 'sod it', wash the discs down with brake cleaner and then take the risk. And John Freeth (Frith) at Perf Braking told me to use emery - so I can always fall back on Kurt Waldheim's "I was only following orders" defence *tongue* *wink*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Removed the pads this evening, mystery solved. 2 contributing factors:

1 The dimwit who wound the pistons back hadn't left them oriented so that the pip on the pad sits in one of the four recesses in the piston face.

2 The springs ends on the pad which slide along the two smooth faces inside the caliper were actually locating off the end of the faces along which they're supposed to slide, which meant they had to overcome a step before the top of the pad would move (inner pads on both sides of the car had this problem). Fixed by bending the springs slightly.

My assertion that the only contact appeared to be in the middle of the contact area was wrong, it's in the middle/inner of the disc which is the bottom half of the pad.

Mike

Edited by - Mike Bees on 21 Sep 2005 23:52:01