Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting hood

cat boy

Hi all,

silly question, but is there a certain way you should put the hood on a 7?.

Had the car for months now and have only just tryed on the hood 😳and its very tight, its last owner never used to use the hood.

Going to dunsfold and the weather forcast aint good on the way down *mad*.

Cheers cat boy

Ex acadamy car 2002, yellow and black 😬

From my own experience, and having had it demo'd by Caterham Cars when picking up the car (I hope this isn't a "teaching to suck eggs" scenario 😳):

1. Raise hood sticks and ensure tensioning straps loosened. (So forward stick is further forward, and lower than when hood up and tensioned).

2. Drape hood over sticks.

3. Fix along windscreen.

4. Pull down and fix to rear corner poppers - these are the tight ones!

5. Continue to attach to remaining rear poppers.

6. Tension roof by tightening tension straps. (This pulls the forward stick back and up toward the roll bar).

7. If you want to, you can then fix the forward stick into the velcro channel on the inside of the hood - though not really necessary.

Hope that's what you were after *smile*

Some variations on the above which work for me (based on searching other posts here):

- Unzip the back window before putting the hood on and then zip it back up afterwards (or leave it open for more ventilation!) - this makes it much easier!

- Do rear corner poppers, then windscreen, then rest of the rear (I think this is how CC demo'd it to me, and it means you can control how much force you're putting on the windscreen, at the windscreen)

- Once you've adjusted the straps the first time, there's no need to loosen/tighten them each time - leave the adjusters in the tensioned position and just slide the straps down the side of the sticks before putting the hood on, then slide them back into position to tension the hood once all poppers are on

I'm of the "carry on for as long as possible in the rain until it gets really unbearable" school, so I always have to put the hood on in the pouring rain - using the above method can manage it in a few minutes!

One other tip: before putting the hood on, think about anything in the boot which you might want to get at later without removing the hood - eg it won't be easy to get an umbrella out from underneath bags with the hood on!

C7 KSF - Roadsport K 1.8 140, Viper Blue / Silver Stripe

I'd agree with Jason except add that when you push the hood onto the poppers on the windscreen put your hand inside the car and try and push in an equal and opposite direction from inside.

Also if the hood's likely to shrink it's worth slackening it off so that it doesn't over stress the screen.

Also...

Using a hood is not blowsy!

I ran my car everyday with a hood on through 5 winters.

Starting off on a 50 mile commute with ice on the inside adds another dimension to Severning.

It meant I could fit more into it when I moved house and

If you squint a bit you could be Steve McQueen in a 917 at LeMans!

Many of the aeroscreens only brigade have tin-tops or jobs that don't require suits.

Even with the hood I had to roll my left trouser leg up so that only the sock got dripped on.

I gave a house mate a lift once and when they asked what I was doing I said it was a freemason's trick and that if I got pulled over by the Peelers they'd let me off!

Cheers

Simon