Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1600vx Cam Belt change intervals?

SimonRHC

Sold my VX about a year ago, but from memory it's every 4 years and/or 20,000 miles. I had it changed at about 19,500 miles and it was beginning to deteriorate (hairline cracks).

It's difficult to get a haynes manual number for this engine as it's not standard - check with Caterham

Regards

Paul

A fellow 7 - 1.6 vx owner hello. *smile*

Good question I've been wondering the same thing - if you find out any more info Simon could you let me know and I will make some enquiries and do the same thing. *thumbup*

Have you had any electrical niggles at all with your car, I've got a problem with the brake / reversing lights at moment ( thread on technical forum )

What colour is yours simon

FYI

do a search for a thread titled "useful info for vx owners"

nothing specific about timing belt change intervals - but lots of other useful stuff.

i just changed the belt on mine a couple months ago - at 4.5 years, and 19000 miles. but only cos i was taking the head off anyway.

www.autovaux.co.uk

are very good for parts

the engine is a C16NZ2

Hi Paul,

My seven (under the mud) is bright yellow.

It was the car that Autocar was loaned to enter the Academy in 1999.

I used to run it as my only car but now I'm married i have further to comute hence the addition of a tin-top.

The only electrical problems i have experienced was the perpetual corrosion of the connecters of the back light clusters (leading to crazy symptoms) and repalcing one of the repeaters each year because they are rusted up.

It's usally worth finding out where each unit earths to the chassis and making sure there's a good contact.

My indicator toggle switch played up for a while but i got a good tip from James Whiting.

It is every time you get in and out of your car, one at a time use every switch.

this should keep the contacts clean.

i found that a quick flick of the hazzards would fix the indicators.

Cheers

Simon

Paul A,

What is the problem with the brake/rev light?

On my old car, the fuse kept blowing. The problem was traced to the location reversing light sensor and where it was located in the gearbox. The female connector sticks out a little to far. If the gearbox moves slightly it touches the aluminium transmition tunnel and shorts it out! Only happens when selecting reverse - but fuse covers brakes and reversing light.

Hope this helps

Paul

Paul - I spent all weekend pulling my car to bits and discovered the problem was exactly as you have described. I'm over the moon that I have found and fixed it, and it hasn't blown since it's been repaired, so it's looking promising. *smile* *smile*

If only I'd got your suggestion a week ago!!

I need to buy two of the right angled bullet connectors that fit onto the 2 terminals of the reverse light switch as mine are "fubar".

Any suggestions?

It's good to know that the answer was available within this forum though.

I will post to my original thread to thank all those who tried to help - thanks Paul