Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reversing light problems

Alan Bowler

After Bay-Splosh I checked my lights...

1. Fog light not working (never checked/used it before!) pretty wet, plus

had a shattered lens (shiny bit inside, but no visible damage on the outside).

I guess it got whacked at some point in the past. £10 from Caterham then.

2. Reverse light flickering. When I investigated, it was also very wet inside,

but bulb is OK, and I have 12V accross the terminals.., but when I put

the bulb in, no light & voltage drops to zero. Is there something I'm missing about reversing light electrics? Brake lights (on same fuse) work fine. Is there

a different earth for the reversing light?

[No - I didn't reverse through any of the Baywatch rivers with the fog light on!]

Any ideas?

Thanks

AB

Sounds like the switch in the gearbox is faulty - located near the base of the gear leaver screwed into the casing - operated by bottom of the gear stick if I remember correct. Check its in correct and the terminals are on good and tights! They tend to come loose over time with all that torgue reaction....... *eek* 😬

bought a double garage...with an detached bungalow......but it needs new windows and DECORATING.......AGHR

Edited by - Billyboy on 26 Jul 2005 10:21:22

rear foglight and reversing light don't earth through the body, there are two wires in the connectors and they go back to the loom via 2 pin plugs at the bottom rear of the fuel tank. Well worth pulling these and checking earth continuity and volts on the live pin. The conectors are usually cable-tied to the fuel tank straps and take a bit of juggling to get out...

If you have honeycomb fuel tank protection and have had a minor rear end ding, the wires can get crushed and damaged against the honeycomb, although they are sleeved as well so this should be unlikley.