Click here if you are having website access problems ×

changing rear pads

Midnight

What's the best method of changing the rear pads on a dedion? I was thinking of cutting the tye wraps holding down the brake bundy to the dedion tube and undoing the caliper to ear bolts to lift the caliper and pads clear of the disc. Does anybody know a there a better way?

Thanks.

It works - you shouldn't need to move the clapper all that much and certainly don't need to apply any serious torque to any of the components (once it's waving in the air that is).

FWIW, when I finally changed to flexis as part of another (larger) brake upgrade, I found that one of the connectors on the hard-line had been done up so tight that it had split the connector inside the clapper. The only way I could undo it was to saw through the brake line and get a socket on the back of the screw-fitting...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I was looking at changing my rear pads recently as the wear was a bit uneven across the disc and the car was due for the NCT, Irish equivalent of the MOT.

Unbelievably the imbalance between the two sides was 1% and the braking effort was well above that required!

The wind back tool looks the ideal for doing this job, as it minimises the risk of damage to the brake tubes, etc.

Where can I get one and approximatley how much do they cost?

Phil Merry

Wind back tool not required if you do the job properly 😳, remove the calipers, and get the lot on the bench where you can see what you're doing *tongue*. Evereyone seems terrified of bleedi *wink*ng Caterham brakes...think it's something to do with the 'Easybleed' (a misnomer if there ever was one) system *tongue*

Paul

Paul,

Not terrified but

1) It's just not necessary

2) I'm changing the rear pads about every 10 weeks or so, quite ofen at the race circuit. Why make a 10 min job into a 60 min one and risk poor brakes when you're just about to go out and race *eek*

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22