Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil type problem when cornering

jamie adams

i have just got back from a great trip to the nurburgring, my car a 1.6 k standard apart from an apollo tank and powerspeed exhaust, was generally fine apart from heat related issues (it was 30+). but when i started to push hard after a few laps when i cornered (or just after to be precise) i would hear a pop from the exhaust then smell burning oil then see a plume of oil behind the car. the oil pressure didnt seem to alter too much, as due to the temperature it was very low even on the road.

not knowing what exactly was wrong and being a bit of a hazard to other users i didnt go onto the track again.

could this be something to do with the apollo tank overflowing into the cylinder head . the oil level has been correct the whole trip with the engine running and warm method.

when i took it easy the car was fine ...but thats not why i bought it.

jamie

thanks, it was quite hard to read anything useful from the oil pressure gauge as it was so low even on the road in the high temperatures but it certainly didnt drop sharply. but it was the amount oil / size of the plume from the exhaust that means its a bit of a danger to others on a track that concearns me.

jamie

Echoing Steve's comment I recently overfilled mine. It has an apollo tank as well.

On the road I didn't know I had overfilled it until every now and then I felt the engine stutter slightly and when I looked in the mirror there was a huge cloud of oily smoke. A few hard corners, etc and it seems to have sorted itself out.

thats certainly not out of the question as the level seems to vary a bit so i have aired on the side of caution. wouuld it be too much oil in the apollo tank overflowing into the top of the cylinder head, or too much in the sump ie working its way up under heavey cornering????

I used to check my oil warm and running, until I did it hot and running and found the level had gone up (because its thinner it flows into the sump more easily) and that I was therefore overfilling it. Prior to checking it hot and running I was getting the odd puff of smoke, misfire and pop & bang but since then its been ok

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

hi, yes powerspeed fitted, i didnt initially fit a new gasket but after firing it up for the first time i discovered a hefty leak so replaced it with a new one (£5 ish from rover) but infact the leak was from the primaries fouling the body below and not seating properly on the head. i had to do a fair bit of extending and rerouting of battery wires as i couldnt get them far enough away from the exhaust. dont trust the supplied templata it was well out, mine looks ok but not perfect. there was a slight leak from where the primaries join the exhaust but cured easily with some exhaust paste which has stayed in place so far (1500 miles in searing heat including quite a few track miles).

i hadnt tried the car on a track prior to fitting the powerspeed but it definately seems less strangled than before and gains revs more quickly, but the main reason i fitted it was to make the most of a DVA upgrade soon. noise is a little deeper but i wouldnt say louder ..

hope this helps ..

jamie