Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Cam Timing Question

KDEANO

Zetec Cam Timing Question

Hi Learned Ones,

I'm having problems getting my Elan +2 Zetec to run smoothly and idle. Having checked the idle air opening and balance of TB's, Throttle Pot Calibration and using an Emerald Map that I'm told works well on similar set-ups, I'm now suspicious of the Cam timing, even though I've not touched it.

The engine is as supplied by Spyder, a re-conned 2.0L Zetec, but they will have replaced the Water Pump and so I'm suspicious that the cam timing may have been messed up when the belt was slackened.

Am I correct in thinking that if I take off the cam cover and align the crank for TDC (using a dial gauge) that the cam alignment notches should align horizontally if all is correct?

If not, is correction as simple as making sure these are horizontal with a locking bar (250x40x5mm) when the crank is at TDC?

Thanks in anticipation,

Niall.

PS, I was originally going to post this on Blatchat as there's a lot of learned Zetec folks on there, however they seemed to have locked posting to members only. If anyone could oblige I'd be grateful !

You are quite correct in saying that with No 1 piston at TDC, the 2 slots in the back of the standard cams should be aligned with a piece of flat bar 5mm thick. *thumbup*

The pulleys on the Zetec are not keyed to the cams so are infinitely adjustable.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

I assume the cams are standard otherwise they will have to be timed in using a timing disc or the lift at TDC method as per the suppliers spec.

You can't simply use the slots at the back on non-std cams as the timing will be all over the place.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 24 May 2005 13:22:54