Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake pads - how much meat....

Myles

My front pads (std. callipers) are something like 15-19k old (I can look it up exactly, but...)

They've got about the same thickness of pad left as the backing plate (IYSWIM) - i.e. about 4ish mm. Not a lot...

I've noticed that they don't seem to be biting that well in the last few weeks - probably time for replacement...

But in the absence of wear-markers, when (according to the book) should they be changed?

My last pads (expensive carbon-metallics that came with the car) had some special material embedded in them - and gave out showers of sparks when they reached close to the replacement point (still lots of material left) - these don't seem to have anything obvious...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

If its any help my Pagids were 9mm thick when new .

I suggest you go for ther pagids if you are to replace , they last a loooooooong time - mine are now on their 2nd season and less than 1/2 worn , they have far superior power to say a Mintex 1144 . the downside is they are quite expensive at about £120 for the fronts and £100 for the rears . Good worthwhile upgrade tho *thumbup*

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Hmm - well, as I said - they 1144s lasted something close to 18k including four tds and a Curborough test day, IIRC. They only cost(ed) something like £30-40 too...

It partly comes back to the old question of how much brake-power is enough - I can lock the fronts (well, at least one - I tend to release at that point) with the current rubber and pad combination - what will Pagids bring to the party?*

*It's two years ago now - but the car did have carbon-metallics on when I first got it. I noticed the difference when they gave up and I fitted the 1144s - but I was still a novice 7 driver at the time, so probably didn't find out just what spunky pads could do...

Hmmm. So if it *is* pagids - what's the spec? Someone mentioned 14b's or somesuch?

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com