Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Smelly car

gmdh555

Someone mentioned my car smells fumey the other day and I am inclined to agree - the wife keeps mentioning the smell coming into the house, and I have felt a bit green on a couple of recent occasions. It's a VX on carbs, with 4 into 1 side exit exhaust. The only recent change that I can think of is that I had a coolant hose split a few weeks back which dumped a lot of coolant over the engine - I did rinse off but maybe there's deposits left that are causing a smell once hot?

Can't decide if it's petrol or "hot engine". Hopefully it's just running rich or something - I've booked it in for a tune-up next week. Other options - leaky exhaust manifold? I could go taping up holes/seams etc. but this is definitely a recent occurrence, rather than something it has always done.

Gareth

Yellow and black 1.8 VX, pics here, for sale here

Reminds me of an experience my dad had, driving a hirecar in the US. He was passing a wagon on a dual carriageway and hit a deer that was already dead and lying across the lane he was travelling in. Lifted the car clear off the ground, and was well seared-on by the time he was able to pull into a gas station to clean it up *eek*

Yellow and black 1.8 VX, pics here, for sale here

a bt O/T.

I ran over an already dead fox in the 7. No damage as it was down already. Slowed the old girl down a fair bit. The tin tops in front of me just straddled it. I has nowhere to go on a narrow B road with on coming traffic.

Meat and fur stuck all over the underside! That stank and next door neighbors cat was under there quick as a flash gobbling at it!

Took a while cleaning to get rid of the smell. Should I have left the cat to it perhaps?

Sounds like yours was coolant then.

When we moved into this house (integral garages) the smell of the 7 (then on carbs) would waft up into our bedroom - paradise, but not for the wife. I set about sealing the pipe work routes from the en suite bathroom. Expanding foam and silicone sealer did the trick.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here