Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Class winning 1800 all steel x-flow

Paul Turner

Std – Std steel Farndon crank and narrow journal long rods with Cosworth Bolts and genuine Cosworth narrow journal shells.

Short forged Omega pistons.

AX block.

Head originally ported by John Noble and fitted with bronze guides and Isky springs. Unleaded seats and new REC valves (1.625” and 1.375”) were fitted during the last rebuild.

Duplex Vernier, Holbay K3A cam.

Choice of 2 steel flywheels with clutches to match (all parts balanced with crank etc.).

QED dry sump pan, pump, tank, remote filter and pipework.

Twin Weber 45 DCOE carbs on matched manifold with K & N filters and correct length ram pipes and all fittings.

Weber Alpha 3D ignition complete with throttle pot, Marrelli coil, wiring loom, modified steel front pulley and brackets, originally supplied, fitted and mapped by Roger King.

1.75” custom exhaust headers.

Alternator with mounting brackets etc.

Fully professionally rebuilt in 1999 (build sheets available) approx 4000 road miles and 6 sprints before being replaced in 2002 with a 2 litre Zetec.

Showed more power @ wheels when fitted with a standard Caterham exhaust than a VX engined car at a RR shoot out in 1995.

Showed 143 bhp @ wheels (approx. 175 bhp @ flywheel) when mapped by RK.

Best ¼ mile by a x-flow (1B tyres) at Moreton in Marsh in 1995 (12.9 @ 100mph).

Did 2 lap Curborough in 1996 on oldish slicks in otherwise road legal (heavy) car in 58.5 and a 2 lap Curborough on Falkens in 1997 in 64.3, speed across the line was approx. 95 mph. During the 5 years I competed using this engine I won numerous class awards at Curborough, Aintree, 3 Sisters, Scammonden, Baitings, Harewood and Thoresby Park.

I have been hanging onto the engine to fit into a chassis for Seven Club speed events but the truth is I have neither the time or space. The engine should be in a car, not inside the house where it has been dry stored since being removed, it has been regularly turned over. The engine is ready to fit and would only need the main jets in the carbs replacing (these were changed when I fitted the carbs to the Zetec, probably still have the old jets in my toolbox) plus a RR session to be up, running and winning.

Any car fitted with this engine would definitely be a class contender in the Seven Club sprints in either class 2 or 3.

I am looking for offers of around £3000 for all the above.

• 3 weeks later...