Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SVA help needed.

daniel smith

I am trying to road register my 96' vauxhall Caterham. The major problem with SVA is getting the emissions test pass. The car has a 2.0vx engine with 48's and obviously no cat. In its current state there is no chance of a emissions pass. I am trying to prove that the engine is pre 92 as this would mean no cat test is required. Can anyone help as I am desparate to get the car on the road.

Tel 07956453919.

Chees.

Do you know your current engine is of 96 vintage as the car is? If not then the engine number may show it's pre 92. So you need someone to interpret the Vx engine number and work out an age for you. With ford engines there was a number you phone and they'd work it out and give you a letter, could try ringing round Vauxhall plants, there's one in Ellesmere Port as a start. Could be a long job!

The engines changed cosmetically in 93 when they changed cam belt tooth profile and cam belt idler set up. Being an early engine means it's much more likely to be pre-92. Early engines had a single idler about level with the water pump bolted to the centre of the front of the block. Late engines had a pair of idlers at the very top of the block (bottom of the head) bolted to an alloy casting which was in turn bolted to the block.

One option - Buy another engine out of a pre 92 car (needs to come with all the docs to prove it). Then SVA it with that engine. Post SVA you can legally stick any engine in. Not sure what would happen MOT time though. If you don't want a spare XE engine then a Vx 8V would fit most of your ancillaries and be cheaper. Bear in mind though that with 48's though you might struggle to hit the non cat emissions as well!!