Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live Axle - Clunk From Axle

cskip

My 1994 Live Axle has developed a clunking noise, from what I presume is the Axle/rear suspension. The noise normally appears when turning into corners, but has also happened when accelerating. The noise only happens once, well at least until the next corner!

What can it be? And how easy is it to fix?

Any Help gratefully received,

Thanks,

Clive.

Crossflow - Loud and Proud!

Certainly sounds like the A-frame bushes. This job is pretty stright forward, just a pain as they are a tight fit. I use mole grips to compress the bushes and then gently press them up into the axle with a sissor jack.

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?" wink.gif

If the clunk happens once on cornering, I suspect that it is the halfshaft moving in the bearings, and probably not the A-frame bush. There was a thread recently on this problem, my fix was to press collars onto the halfshafts behind the bearings -so far this has been a complete success. Look back at previous postings.

Hubcap

I had this noise too when turning into a sharp right hand bend, then again seconds later when turning sharp left. The car was due for its 12,000 Mile service, Caterham Dartford found that both drive shafts were shot. I remember the bill being some stupid amount for the service. No more knocking sound now.

RM.

• 3 months later...

Eventually I have got around to testing the new A Frame Bushes, as the car is not longer in pieces! And guess what the Clunk is still there any suggestions as to what to check next?

By the way, one of the Bushes had disappeared due to the rubber around the top of the metal hat having disappeared! So they needed replacing anyway.

Clive.

Crossflow - Loud and Proud!

I agree with Lee, it is almost certainly the halfshaft moving in the bearing. With the back end suspended and the wheels off the ground, yif you can pull the wheel in and out - a movement of around 10-15mm - then that is the problem.

See my thread on end float of axle's. think this is what I have, but mine never clunked and I have only got a very small movement - around 1mm - just enough to be able to feel. I am investigating ways to fix and will update my thread with my choosen solution.

Phil Waters

1600 X/flow - soon to be 2000 Zetec wink.gif