Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Calling all zetec owners (alternator help) agian!!

Nic Day

Following on from my last post I am getting no where fast.

I have a 2ltr zetec on 45s with the alternator under then. (I think the engine is about 1996 but not sure)

Ok I took my old one in and now have a new one (LRA101)

From my last post the pully I had on the old one was a multi grove one which did not have a kotter key(have I got that right?) And it was held on with a spacer making up the difference from the smaller diameter shaft to the pully (looks like a bit of a bodge by the last owner) Anyway got new alternator and the motor factor changed the pully. Pully slips off line as the spacers was not in the best of condition. Anyway spoke to the motor factors to get this sorted and they suggested a new pully to fit the new alternator (sounds like a good idea) now it turns out that there is no multi grove pullies to fit this alternator.

SO all you zetec owners. What alternator do you have? and is the pully a v or a multi grove one?

Basically Iam trying to find another alternator that will fit and take a multi grove pully.

Or any other suggestions how I get over this problem

Cheers

Nic

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

Nic, a cotter pin is a tapered pin, you mean a woodruff key which is a half moon key which fits in a groove on a shaft and a pulley with groove fits over. It's to stop pulleys turning on shafts.

Lesson over but it doesn't help your problem

Suggest take alt back to MF and get money back and get Raceline to supply correct item.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

thanks Joe

Mine is a little older and is a bit different

I have spoken to Raceline and they don't make pullies for my alternator BUT they do supply a bush the brings the 12mm shaft up to fit the 17mm pully.

This is the set up I had before on the old alternator

So I think it is all sorted. (fingers crossed)

Thanks for all the help

Nic

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

I fitted a sierra 2000dohc - plenty of room and this alternator has the correct pulley *thumbup* *thumbup*, and they are cheap 😬 😬 I made up my own bracket out of 1inch sq pipe - easy, and used a 890 length belt 3.90pounds from halfords - sorted