Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Filler Options?

philwaters

Right, so part of my TB conversion. I pulled the old carb tank out of the car last night. Got the new injection down down from the loft where it has been in storage since buying it.

A quick look over and the filler is smaller - kind of what I expected having read other threads.

I currently have a nice 3" Aero filler, 8 fixing on a 4" PCD. I think the funnel on the back is around 2" (possibly 2-1/4", I can't quite remember now!). I've looked around and no one seems to do a replacement funnel for a 3" cap and a 1-3/4" pipe.

Anyone have any suggestions?

- I could fit a filler in the boot, and then keep just the cap section as a blank to cover the holes. I'm not fussed on this as it means taking stuff out of the boot to fill up/splashed stuff.

- I could cut some 1-3/4" hose down, and see if my current hose will then clamp down over it, effectively making a crude step down. Not sure on the outer diameter of the hose and if that would work.

- Any one know of a hose maker that would make a custom piece that steps down to right size?

What have others done in the past? I'm *confused*

Phil Waters

I had the same problem, i tried to get a custom pipe made, as there is now way that you can use a coupling due to the short run/ radius. Petrol resistant pipe is unique and is only that black stuff so no one would do a custom piece, thought about silicone hose but they are not petrol proof.

In the end i bit the bullet and changed the filler cap, still sold the old one and made a few bob. *thumbup*

Watch This Space....Get it ?

Also,

Any pointers as to what all the connections are?

I have the outlet on the pump sussed and the filler, obviously, but also:

*arrowright* Pipe on the top, roughtly in the middle,

*arrowright* Pipe where the old outlet was taken from, on the front face, pointing at the passenger.

*arrowright* Short spigot next to filler, about 1/2" dia

*confused* Which one is the return, and what do I do with the other two?

Phil Waters

Pipe on the top is for the tank breather.

pipe facing passenger is the fuel return to tank.

The short spigot next to the filler is for the metro metal filler neck, as it has a flap valve fitted this enables air to purge from the tank while filing.

As to the filler cap all i did is rotate the metal bezel to cover up the existing holes in the panel. *thumbup*

Watch This Space....Get it ?