Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rattle from 6 inch silencer?

Tony Martyr

Some months ago I fitted a 4:1 exhaust header plus 6 inch sealed silencer all from Caterham.

I have got a rattle that I think is coming from the silencer that is driving me seriously demented. It is not the protection cover-that has been removed. I can not get anything to rattle while stationary and even taking the silencer off and shaking it produces no noise other than me grunting.

The noise comes at certain engine rpm so I think it may be a loose item in the silencer - like what - the through tube?

It is getting worse or I am getting sensitised to it and I have checked everything else under the car on the passenger side to no effect - any sensible suggestions or previous experience?

I've got the same rattle - it's coming from the primaries joining the collector.It tends to go away when warm - probably things expanding. I've seen a jubilee clip used as a cure. I use silicon sealant but it blows out after a while. Does anyone know of something that can be used that doesn't show, is flexible and doesn't blow out ?

cheers

Sid

W77 CAT

End of thread feed-back.

The problem was just as Sid, Rob and all suggested. It was one or more of the primary tubes vibrating in the collector. This seemed unlikely from an exteranl inspection as everything was pretty gas tight and it was not cured by holding them together with a large clip. I re-made all of the joints with liberal amounts of heat-gum sealant and took the car out for a short run to cure it.

The resonance can still be detected as the engine goes through a certain rev band but the horrible noise is completely disappeared.

Thanks Guys