Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ride Height

NeilC

Having had my car for a year now, I decided to measure the rake front to rear to achieve the 15mm difference front / rear, as the car has always felt a bit understeery.

The front (measuring behind the front wheels) was 10mm higher than the back (measuring in front of the rear wheels), so I undid the adjustable platforms at the front and lowered the car. I haven't yet driven it, but looking at photos, the platforms on other SV's seem to be right at the top of the thread, where mine were, and they are now approx half way down the thread.

Just looking for comments re how different is the car likely to feel and are there any reasons for the SV being set up differently that I don't know about? (and no jokes about fat owners, please *smile*)

Can't see why an SV would be significantly different.

Measure the font from the ali covering the chassis tube (I use in between the engine mount bolts for consistency). Rear chassis tube in line with the rear wing.

For De dion I would use 20mm rake. Rear higher than front.

The other way around and it would be horrible. Unstable underbraking and probably out of balance in general when on the limit

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 7 Jan 2005 13:14:06

Steve flat floored my SV for me and set the rake up as he describes... it handles very nicely now as a result. It was initlaly set with virtually zero rake which made it nice and 'stable'. The increase rake has helped turn in and makes it more 'adjustable' on the track. *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

I had my 7 flat floored late last year and it makes a hell of a difference. Even more so when Woolly checked the rake and found that the front was 20mm higher than the back. *eek*

I used to think it handled alright with a little understeer until he spent two hours adjusting it for me. Now it turns in really nicely.

Caterham have flat floored my SV twice during last year as I upgraded the suspension, both times the rake was set at 15mm. The balance seems fine to me, particularly the first time when it was clearly out.

Large viperblue/yellow 1.6 S/S

Yep, 15 - 20 mm is fine. Its all down to preference on how you like a car to handle. What tyres / grip levels you will have back and front, springs, dampers, roll bars etc you are using to get the type of balance you like.

My racing info site

here

DuncanP--Good to hear that the car is now doing what it should *thumbup*

As a general observation, a lot of ride heights tend to be 'a bit out' after the Christmas period, but do eventually recover all by themselves once the new years resolutions actually take effect 😬

If any more needs doing in the way of fine adjustment/springs-just give me a shout-it's no problem. *thumbup*

Hello from Athens.

I am about to order my 7 from the Greek importer, and I am worried about the ride height in general. On the Euro-spec 7´s that are sold here, the catalyzed exhaust system exits on the rear. Having the pipework running under the floor severely lowers the ground clearance. Roads here are quite bumpy, and I also worry about sleeping policemen.

Help!

Hi ronnie,

I ran a 2.5" bore pipe rear exit syst em on my 7. Had to try it some time, it came as part of the exhaust / FI kit I bought 2nd hand. It was QUIET compared to the side exit. Added about 10kg in weight.

The only issue with that was that I could only run 6" wide rear wheels = not enough. The pipe passes next to the wheel / tyre.

Ground clearance will not be a problem with a rear exit system verses a side exit.

British roads can be pretty bumpy. I would take it easy on very rough surfaces / over the short/high sleeping policemen though.

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 8 Jan 2005 20:21:40

Steve set the rake on my SV as well and it transformed the handling from being understeery to very neutral. Front was about midway down the thread.

BTW - some people have problems with exhaust fumes coming back in the cockpit with rear exhausts.

Seven-Ecstasy.co.uk Fully revised and updated for 2005 including more Le Mans and Goodwood pics