Click here if you are having website access problems ×

front brake hoses

phatcat

Can't work this one out (new build).

The front brake hoses in the assembly guide have something called a locknut in the picture which looks separate from the nut built on to the female union. I don't have a separate locknut - should I have?

Without a nut or some kind of other spacer, the brake hose will never fit flush with the bodywork. I have put on the plain washers and shakeproof washers and done up the nut on the female union finger tight, but this still leaves a cm of thread showing, and the brake hose it still loose in the hole with lots of thread showing.

No clue on how to procede? - a call to Caterham just left me more confused as they reckoned I didn't need a separate nut.

Thanks.

Assume you're talking about where the front hoses pass through the body panel? I've got a male end to the hose and this goes through the panel, then there's a nut and washer on the other side to hold it in place. After that the female union screws onto the end of the hose. Sounds like you're missing a nut..!

My replacement hoses were made up for me by Merlin Motorsport (at Castle Combe circuit) but guess any good motor factor should have something in stock that fits, or just use a stainless half nut (about half the thickness of a normal nut). Can't remember the thread as there's a mixture on my car, but believe it'll be either 3/8" or M10.

>I've got a male end to the hose and this goes through the panel,

>then there's a nut and washer on the other side to hold it in place.

I only have the "nut" that forms part of the female union.

So I am missing a nut as expected... Caterham Tech support misleading me again!

Thanks.

I have just completed this part on my car last week. You should have a packet which has the locknuts (x4 I think) and various copper washers. As described above they fit on the inside of the skin.

The sequence is from the outside : the male connector on the flexible pipe, shakeproof washer, plain washer, al skin, plain washer, locknut and then the inside female connector on the fixed pipe. This enables the ali skin to "hold" the pipe from the outside and then allows the inside connector to be tightened onto the held pipe.

Jim the Jock