Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight Noise Levels

Jenson Button

I'm just about to buy my first 7 which is a 1.6 Superlight. I'm also about to book a track day or two and wanted to know if anyone knew the noise levels? It's got a standard exhaust with catalytic converter.

I'm looking to do a track day which has a drive-by noise limit of 98db which strikes me as on the low side. Will the car be OK?

What are the static and drive-by noise levels for the Superlight?

I recently did a trackday at Bedford with a standard 1.6 Superlight.

My car recorded 98db static (but they only tested it at 4000rpm) and then 89.9db driveby.

The limit was 87.0db, so I got thrown off in the morning. Replaced the standard silencer with a CCC one in the afternoon and had no more complaints...

Please note that as an early '97 superlight, it came with a 4" silencer. I believe later superlights were fitted with 5"/6" silencers so you may be OK.

Ian 😬 1.6K SS Superlight #006

Penn Sevens Here

Had a noise test at Goodwood a few months ago (std Superlight with 5" silencer) and was way over the 98db "quiet day" limit - by 2 or 3 db IIRC. Remember that db is log scale so +3db is double. They test at 75% of max so >5k revs.

I've even been chucked off Goodwood previously in an Elise (modified) on driveby, and if my SL is anything to go by it would stand no chance there.

Sorry.....

I know that Goodwood are very strict. The track day in question is actually at Donington who normally have a higher noise limit as far as I know.

Does anyone know if a car is measured at say 98db static, will it be quieter or louder on drive-by? The car may well be at maximum revs as it goes past the microphone but will be further away from it than in a static test - which makes the bigger difference?

I would agree normally but why have they expressly stated that the noise limit will be 98db on the day? I know they normally have a higher limit and, reading their website, they even do totally unrestricted days. But can I go along confident that I'm not going to be sent home for being too loud?

FWIW they are now very strict at Donington, my car (not a SL) measures 96.8dB at 4.5k revs so will pass most static tests but it was recorded at 104dB driveby at Donington *eek* even with Out of a Box additions 😬

They don't do static tests at Donington, only driveby and according to the 'noise man' there are now 4 mics around the circuit.

They are allowed a limited number of noisier days under thier agreement with the local Council as are Goodwood

As others have said I doubt you will have a problem with a standard SL

Mark