Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil spray

John Hughes

I have noticed that when driving especially when it's cool in the evening a fine spray of "oil" seems to eminate from the carbs (1700 XF with 40DCOE's). This coats the offside wings F&R occasionally the screen and the K&N covers. The performance has not gone off (recent RR no probs), oil consumption has not changed etc. The "Oil" is certainly comming out of the carbs / air filters (doesn't appear to be K&N air filter oil)

The "oil" has a strong smell of petrol

The car is run on ESSO LRP.

The only thing I can think of is blow back from the carbs of additives in the petrol

Any other ideas / possible causes ??

The oil *is* petrol.

At certain rpm, when the engine is just coming on cam, you get a phenomenon called "stand-off". This is when the carbs are at their noisiest (about 3500-4000rpm). There are strong pulses in the inlet tract and the mixture gets bounced out of the carbs and you can see a cloud of petrol vapour just outside the filters. In cold weather, this is more likely to condense into visible droplets.

This is perfectly normal for a carb-fed car with a reasonably hot cam. As long as the jetting is OK the engine will be running fine and this is perfectly normal.

I'll second Peter on his reply, but just add that anything allows the engine to go off tune - ignition timing, poor compressions, mixture problems, etc, can make the problem worse. You can see the phenomonen sometimes when an engine is on dyno test without it's air filters - there can be what looks like a cloud hanging around near the ram pipes.

Sometimes it can be reduced by changing the induction length, but this may or may not lead to other problems.