Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What tyres for road use

French Flame Thrower

Handling is not the same as grip. The original S1 7 or Elan back in the 60s had comparitively crap rubber, yet no-one would suggest these were poor handling cars. *tongue*

I just dont want to spend £200 on a set of tyres for the 7 every few months, so for me the A539s are the best compromise. The amount of miles I do for just blatting for fun are much less than those I do to get from A-B.

Its a personal thing I guess. Id rather have 539s than those rock hard energy savers CC fit to some cars, I really dont understand that? *confused*

TomB, you are quite right, of course. And I cannot afford to change my tyres with my trollies, either. That said, I am quite willing to put hand to pocket to either maintain my car or fix it, should it break. I'm currently not happy with having good enough tyres on my car, nor would I want to spoil the efforts that I have made elsewhere by skimping 200 pounds a year in such a critical area. But she is soon to be sold ( hopefully ) and I don't want to spend money that I won't get back.

Getting back to the question. To me it boils down to what would you be thinking when you are spinning into a crash barrier, or sliding into the 🙆🏻 of the guy in front, at 20mph due to your tyres being just not up to the cold and wet of England, costing you weeks off the road, damaging your car and a claim on your insurance. For the sake of 200 quid. Would you put crap oil in your engine? Perhaps some cheaper disks and pads, or shockers? Do you drive down the road at 56mph, to be economical? Of course you don't. You save money in other areas. Don't drink or get Tescos value stuff, but your tyres are the ONLY thing between you and the hedge.

No brainer 21's or 48's. *thumbup*.

BB

Not meant to be a rant, but reading it back myself it looks like one! All said to let the guy make the best decision. I know that I can waste 200 quid in a month on tat, better to waste it on 7000miles of smiles than a new jacket 😬 *wink*. TomB, see you at a MADS meet soon 😬

CR500s from new done about 7.5k and loads more to go..... includes a tour down to Italy and back motorways country roads on fast blats in convoy..... No complaints.... wet or dry.... oh except for the Road surface in Rimini.... on cold tyres it could have been ice!! still don't understand that one...!!! oh and I had one aqua planing moment....on lots of standing water!!!!

Has anyone put Winter tyres on a 7, any recommendations that are ok for normal road use etc.......?

Cheers

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....