Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aerodynamics of side-screens

Tony Martyr

During the Le Sept visit to Dijon I tried to compare top speed on the pit straight with and without side screens.

Using a DL90 logger and trying to keep to the same gear change track position and speed of 7000 rpm.

The results seem to show that the car is 3 to 4 mph faster with side screens fitted. 126 mph (GPS speed) with screens and around 122/3 without.

It was much more comfortable on that part of the track with them fitted so their may be some driver influence.

I can pick up no significant difference on the Ledenon track. There the sidescreens were a problem because of the need for a very wide uninterupted field of vision (including up and down!)

So for us normal screen cars on a fast track it would seem better to fit side-screens as the total car aerodynamics may improve from appalling to just dreadfull

My top speed there was 119mph ... *mad* *mad*

During the good old days when I still had a windscreen I did some tests on the highway and arrived at the same conclusion ... about 4mph difference. With my "retro screen" I get about 2mph more but I did not try yet how much it is with the half heigh doors on as well.