Click here if you are having website access problems ×

valve clearences prolem

Phil

I have altered the valve cleaences on my 1700 x/flow as advised,

24thou on exhaut and 22thou on inlet, rolling them back and forth a few times and rechecking. Great result and very quite but he engine kno feels, I shall say not as smooth and will not idle and just cut out. Any ideas or advice please?

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

22 and 24 is right for the crossflow.

Have you gone through the rest of the tune up?

Spark plug gap, carb synchronization, idle mixture.

Electronic ignition, if you have it, shouldn't need to be reset assuming it was okay to begin with.

Ken Sailor

Thanks for the reply, I have done the carbs and the plugs after fitting my new 4-1 sytem and everthing was great after finding and sorting a leak at the exhaut manifold, always wanting to make my engine a little quieter I did the tappets and set them so as the feeler gauge was rasonable easy to pass through the gap, this made the car noisy, yesterday I reset them and receckd them all twice with the feeler gauge tighter to pass through the gap, I know find te engine wll not tickover when warm and just cus out.

Question is if tis is bad for th engne or just a matter of retuning the carb ec or maybe the clearences are a little tight?

Anyway I am going on the new forest BB thang this morning, whatever you ae doing, have a nice day.

Light blue/grey car with dark blue hood,r400 wheels and a 4-1 exhaust.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Edited by - phil on 4 Jul 2004 09:47:09