Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500 Avon tyres distortion - question?

David M

Hi,

I have 15inch AVON CR500s which came fitted from Caterham new with my kit, I have done about 3700 miles on them. On Sunday during the dyno and curry at Emerald Dave Walker stopped the test to check the tyres because the back of the car was bouncing up and down at low speeds. The tyres looked a little out but it was resolved for the test run by sitting on the back of the car.

Today I took the tyres to be balanced and got to look at them up close spinning and they seem really distorted both vertically and horizontally.....although fitted onto the hubs fine....

Does anybody have a view on what might be going on here.... is this normal.... Caterham didn't have much comment accept offering to send the tyres back to Avon, which leaves me with bill for a new set....

Its odd because all 4 have the same effect.....

Thanks in advance...... *smile*

David

p.s No track days or real abuse.....

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

I have seen the CR500's start to 'peel' or split where the rubber joins up on them. I believe the reason why some of the racers put them on backwards is to stop this happening.

I would say if they havn't had much abuse though that you have a dodgy set.

I use the car everyday, it could be that the short drives to work and back are not getting them heated up enough and thus distorting the top layer of rubber...... *confused*

David

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....