Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo drive cable detached

zak

Hi,

Searched the archives but still not completely sure. So....

Got back from a good blat last sunday 😬 and noticed the speedo had packed up and there was some tinkling noise. Looked underneath and I can see the speedo cable with a 90 deg head and a spindle pointing out. *confused* *mad*

Questions

1. Is oil going to leak out? From the archives I think not - but?

2. Does it really just push in and get held in place with a circlip that I presume is going to be missing when I try to replace this?

3. Is this going to be an absolute b@st@rd of a job as I imagine? Whats the best way of getting access - ramps on the front wheels or axle stands at the rear?

thanks for any clues

Zak

www.zak7.com

Zak, It is a push fit with a circlip. You may have lost oil and if so will see evidence, but check gearbox level to be sure. If 5 speed Ford box then remove filler plug on near side of gear box and top up till it overflows, allow excess to drain and refit plug. I may have a circlip if your near me let me know if you need one. The circlip may still be on the right angle drive.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

Curmudgeon in an Elise, (and 7 and Elan)

This happened to me a while ago, the circlip is a standard ford part, in my case the weld between the angle drive and retaining washer gave up leaving the washer and ciclip in place. I had to buy a later angle drive and full cable assembly, a much better design in the form of a turned brass retainer for the angle drive gearbox end.

My car is a 1995 1400 supersport,

Alan