Click here if you are having website access problems ×

not so bushy bushes

olij

Its A-Frame bush replacement time again (after 1000 miles!), does anybody know of any bushes that are more durable - mine's a daily driver so I'm getting a bit bored of having to change them every month or so.

any experiences gratefully received

oli

There was someone doing some in LF that were durable but said to have the same damping / resilient properties as the standard bushes. This was a couple of years back... might be worth a trawl or try someone like James W or Chris Wheeler for latest info...

I swapped the car and got the hard wearing latest De Dion spec ones... never seem to need changing (sorry.. couldn't resist that one).

Bored of changing them twelve times a year? Try spicing it up by say doing it with one arm tied behind your back! Seriously though, is there any oil being deposited onto the bushes from a leaky engine or diff ? This seeme to 'kill' the bushes very quickly.

I had the same problem except mine lasted about 2 hours on a track day! using supersoft 32Rs. not on did the bushes go but the slide hammer effect of the axle clanging around took some brand new wheel bearings with it!! so it cost me £500 to have all new shafts and bearings fitted!.

Because of this, ( and because I heard that the original manufacturer has stopped making them so they're now some crappy imported ones ), I contacted demon tweeks who sell said powerflex bushes. There basically the dedion from wishbone bushes and so have to be cut down ( they're the right diameter but too long ). So far they seem fine and have knackered even under track duress. They're about £28 for four you put them in coperslip and because they're polyurethane i don't think diff oil will rot them!. I must admit though i'm not risking it and have a rose jointed A frame on order!.

whatever extra stress they put on the axle it cant' be worse than the back of car acting like a 1/2 ton slide hammer!!

P.S after the bearings went I had to use 21Rs on the back. I think that Supersoft 32rs on the front and 21r on the rear gives a fab handling balance. Understear NOT! and the back wil dance around at your beck and call!

Graham

thanks for all the info, in response they are fairly covered in oil (DOH!)which drips down the back of the diff casing (I assume must be coming from the axle breather as i have a catch tank on the engine) so will try catching the breather oil and see what happens - probably try the fabled "red bull can" technique mentioned on other thread! I'll see how the new (standard) set last when kept oil free.

Thanks for the advice re the slide hammer destruction effect on bearings - useful to know.

I have just changed my A-frame bushes for Powerfelx ones. Yes you do have to cut them down a bit - but because they are polyurethane they should last longer. Also Demon Tweeks sell them in a pack of four - so you have a spare pair ready for the next time they need changing.

I am interested to learn more about a rose joint conversion on the rear A-fram bush, does anyone have any experience of this and can it be modified easily?

Hubcap

Dear Mr Hubcap, I fitted the rose joint (spherical bearing) A frame to my car back in 1988, and only last year replaced the bearing, (a big hit on the cost, about GBP25, if I remember correctly), the eye of the rose joint frame that attaches to the diff case bracket is bored through parellel with two grooves machined inside to retain the bearing in place, a spacer is then located either side of the ball section which is then placed in the diff bracket and bolted in the usual manner. The rubber bush A frame I believe is machined with a taper to match to conical form of the bushes, the rose joint frame does tighten the rear end, stops all the wallowing and such like, though some say it will transmit extra strain and loading in the rest of the frame Ive not found any problem,

Hope this clarifies things a bit for you.

Regards Nigel.

I am always looking for ways to spend money on my car so I don't suppose anyone has any pictures of how the spherical bearing looks.. I seem to remember you having to replace the whole A frome with the Caterham kit... is this no longer true?

Phil Waters

Q181 ABL - 1600 X/F smile.gif