Click here if you are having website access problems ×

will a 1/8 BSP male

gavinp

I think it depends upon the fitting (is it for pneumatics?), but there is one co. on the net selling a fitting 1/8 BSP x 3/8 suggesting this may be correct. Er, why not try it, or mic it up?

I have also learned that there are only 1/8 BSW and 1/4 BSW bolts in the whit range which are unique and can't be turned by a metric or imperial which happens to fit. I've also been leanring about "cycle" threads, common on Brit bikes and different again from whit, even in the sizes where it ought to match. Bizarre and fascinating. Thank God they are now unified (pun intended for engineers out there) in the metric system. Or are they? BMW use BSP pipe fittings...

This of course is why I collect old spanners and am quite prepared to butcher the cheap ones for a special job, for that fateful day when I discover that the lower squibknocket retaining nut on a 1926 Lister Ditchmaster stationary engine is a 19/32 Unified West of England (Not Birmingham) left hand thread. (I've got just the size...)

Yes, I think it was July 15th when they changed over (something to do with the MDs wife's sister preferring the proportions of 19/32" UWE). Unfortunately I only have the RH second tap, now where did I put it for safe keeping?

This is becoming surreal...

Mark

PS: Give my regards to Richard when you next see him.

😬 Sorry Gavin, I hope you read the useful information before it descended into wibble. *smile*. The key is, does it fit? Alternatively do you need a special fitting, perhaps an 1/8" Fine Coventry & Derby pattern as fitted to certain models of the Philpott and Jones "Supremest" of the 20s? I'll see if I have one in the shed. Alternatively Mark seems to have a good selection of UWEs, you'll get away with a second tap if you use lots of cutting oil, make sure it's square at the start and back it off regularly. *wink*