Click here if you are having website access problems ×

moving reset switch and funny looking Rover port?

gavinp

The inertia reset switch is right where I want to put my catch tank, right against the bulkhead (above the ECU). There is also a Rover port of some sort there, which has 2 pipes coming off it, one which is just plugged up with a screw and the oher leading to, and branched off, into each swan neck on the TB's. Questions are:

a - what is the little Rover port for?

b - can I move both of these? They seem to just unscrew from the bulkhead, but is there any particular orientation they need to end up in (e.g. upright or facing forwards)?

thanks

gavin

Superlight R #41

• Leadership Team

Yes you can move them both - just relocate them in a suitable position.

The reset switch is for the ecu.

The other small box is a fuel trap, fitted in the vacuum pipe running from the TBs to the ecu. The original ecu on the SLR was a Rover mems unit - this takes a measurement of the vacuum in the TBs for the mapping of the engine - the vacuum pipe runs from the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, through a number of plastic T-pieces connecting the 4 inlets, then to the fuel trap. It exits the fuel trap and feeds into the MEMS. If yours is not connected to the ecu, it is either:

1. there is no longer a MEMS fitted, now MBE, Emerald etc, or,

2. Somebody thought the engine would run better withoutthe vacuum signal?

If you have no intention of connecting to the ecu, you can remove the fuel rap completely - remove the t-piece from no.4 TB and loop a small piece of the black pipe from the t-piece on no.3 directly to the metal connector on no.4. This will maintain the connection of the fuel pressure regulator to the TBs, but will eliminate your need to relocate the fuel trap.

Stu.

Stu, thanks, Emerald was fitted last week so I suspect the fuel trap is no longer needed?

Also, the orientation of the rubber inertia switch can be anywhere? [is the inertia sensor in that little switch unit do you think?]

Superlight R #41

Gavin

The inertia switch is basically a ball bearing in a cage. In an impact, the ball bearing moves the cage which then trips the switch and cuts the fuel pump. It can be mounted to anything solid on the chassis. Keep it the right way up (connector downwards) and out of the way of water.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 2000 miles completed!

Oh I wondered about the orientation of the inertia switch. In the Academy cars you have the option of moving it or removing it completely. Allegedly a bumpy kerb or a trip to the gravel trap can trip it so we wanted to get it somewhere that it can be reset without getting out of the car or even undoing the belts.

I knew it had to be connector down but worried whether it would work as well at 90deg, ie on the side of the tunnel in the cockpit rather than on the bulkhead. If it's just a ball bearing running out of a bowl it will be OK. But if it's a bearing running up a ramp then it'll need to stay the same way relative to the car. I wasn't sure so in the end we just cut it off and joined the two wires.

Oh and pretty sure it doesn't reset the ECU, it resets the power supply to the fuel pump (which comes from the ECU). But it's designed to stop the fuel pump in the event of an accident so you don't feed the fire with 50psi fuel.

Chelspeed

You're right - it's wired in series with the fuel pump, not the ECU.

Most (if not all) applications of this in Rovers (and Freelander) have it mounted in the same orientation as the Caterham - bolted to something across the car, but don't know if that is necessary...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 2000 miles completed!

In the end just moved the Rover port to the other side of the bulkhead near the steering column and re-attached it with Dual Lock rather than drilling and screwing the little bracket back on, and then moved the inertia switch a bit more central and voila space for a Mocal catch tank on the bulk head in front of the passenger. It is positioned above the Emerald but I'll use the second outlet as run off to under the car.

g

Superlight R #41

Is it wise having the Mocal catch tank directly above your ECU when you can avoid it ?

The inertia switch cut out on me yesterday at Donnington , I took some kerd on the exit of the Old Hairpin and the engine died .......... a quick depress of the switch and we were off again . But the switch is under the bonnet *mad*

In would keep the switch for safety sakes and its also a good theft deterant if you disconnect it *thumbup*

But I will be moving mine to a position under the dash .

Dave