Click here if you are having website access problems ×

emerald -vs- mbe

gavinp

Some help on this would be appreciated. I have read many threads on the subject but could not find a straight comparison of these 2 solutions. (I had these at the top of my shopping list but if there any other thoughts please shout!)

It would be good to see the pros and cons of each, or just others experiences that I could collate. E.g. on subjects such as total cost of ownership (if you upgrade the ECU, gotta go for this that and the other etc.)

For reference, I have a '98 SLR with no engine mods and swan neck TBs, running a 4-2-1 into a Raceco can.

Any help appreciated.

gavin

Superlight R #41

Emerald is a bit more "open source" in principle. Constant development nand free emailed updates as new software/firmware becomes available.

That said, I've no doubt the MBE works well, although I wonder if an off-the-shelf map is available for the SLR... there is for the Emerald. Probably mine. 😬

Which MBE are you talking about? There are two current models, 967 and 970. I presume you're talking about the 967 as fitted to the R500 (I think) and some other Caterhams as standard. Spec is here

I'm running a 970 (upgraded 941) and I'm very happy with it, but then my engine comes from SBD and they're a main dealer for MBE.

I think there are generally more features on the MBE, closed loop mapping, launch control, traction control, rad fan control, alternator cut-off, electric water pump control, full throttle shift etc etc. I guess it depends on whether you're likely to use these or not as to whether they're worthwhile or not.

Arnie will tell you that the MBE is a great piece of kit, and I'm sure he is right. I however believe that the total cost of ownership is higher that an Emerald.

The MBE is a very professional piece of kit and reqires reasonable knowledge to work with it. The Emerald was designed by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, runs on very simple to understand Windows software free on the web go look at it here Karl the developer is adding features all the time and it is retrospectfully upgradeable.

In my mind you pays your money and takes your pick, If your car is at present running on Rover MEMS the slight advantage of the Emerald is that it's only a 5min job to fit as it is plug compatible, OTOH the MBE is Caterhams chosen aftermarket solution.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.For my sins

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services N.I.