Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fiat twin cam quicky

owelly

Just a quick question and a brief explanation!!

I'm plopping a Fiat 2.0 t/c into my plastic car. The unit came from a brand new Super Miafiorunpronouncable (c1984).

Does anyone know what power it should have?

Has anyone turbo'd one? Does anyone how much the comp ratio has to to be dropped or how thick a head shim should be? Can I buy vernier camshaft sprockets to take into account the difference in crank/camshaft distances or do I have to make offset keys?

I've played with turbos in different engines with fairly good results but never tittivated a Fiat/Lancia unit.

Cheers in advance for your pearls of wisdom 😬

savin up to be eccentric. but for now, i'll just be stupid...

Used to own a 'C' reg Fiat Strada Abarth 130TC......excellent car *thumbup*.

Assuming the engine is similar. The standard o/p on that was funnily enough 130bhp. Advised that engine block was good for 200 bhp with little or no modification *eek*. Did not do any tuning mainly as one could not afford it. Eventually traded it for a Ford Sierra 1.8LX

Think same engine block was used in the turbo charged Lancia's 🤔

*thumbup* GrannY OrB TuneR *thumbup*

😳 Tweaker Of Fine Granny Orbs ! 😳

*biggrin* Superlight No: 170 *biggrin*

Yes - it was the basis for the Integrale engine and some other Lancia race engines with stratoshpheric power outputs.

In normally aspirated form it can be easily tuned to getting on for 200bhp.

Also worth looking for Guy Croft's book on tuning these engines.

Italian's tend to design great engines and they are not all bolted into exotica. When the British struggled on with asthmatic SU carbs and pushrods the Italian usually used twin cams and a pair of webers.

Jonathan

I've found an old article in a magazine on 'Tuning the Fiat/Lancia Twincam'.

It's not as interesting as an article on Kylie,so If you have the latter (or will get the kettle on) I'll do swapsies / drink tea *thumbup*

Mark

Look it's Mavis here and Jubilee 7 here

Is it a sedicivalvole engine you're putting in?

People with sedici engines tend to opt for the coupe 16vt lump if they're upgrading to a turbo. Little point messing about with the sedica lump, easier to start with something that was made for a turbo.

Edited by - James@Tiptree on 12 May 2004 18:50:33

I seem to recall that the standard power for a 2l tincan engine was around 120bhp, around the same for torque too. Used to propell a rusted out super mirafiori to astronomical speeds, power to rust ratio of around 400bhp per sq meter of rust!

Good honest old engine!

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

The engine i originally had in mind is pants'ed. I have been offerd an engine and box for £100.

Still don't know if its 16 or 8v. Might keep looking for a modernish 16v jap thingy *wink*

savin up to be eccentric. but for now, i'll just be stupid...