Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1600 x-flow Weber 40

olivier vignoul

i have a shallow sump, i don't know , how many liters/galon can i put in this kind of motor ?

do you know the step ( degree) for the avance ( distributor / ignition) ?

what is "BTDC" ? before top ........... ???????

thanks a lot

olivier

ps...... sorry for my english !!

*smile*

Hi Olivier

Dont worry about your english, I dont speak any french, spanish, dutch etc....

Are you talking about a dry-sump or a low profile wet sump?

If it is a dry sump, then you need about five litres, or fill to an inch or so below the top baffle in your dry sump tank.

if it is a low profile wet sump then I think uou will need about 3.5 litres if you are changing the oil filter, but the dip stick on the car may have been hand marked to show the correct fill level.

As to the timing, I suppose the first question is what sort of ignition system are you using?

From "Rebuilding and Tuning Ford's Kent Crossflow" by Peter and Valerie Wallage:

"Turn the engine to the firing point with number 1 cylinder on compression and then feed the distributer in. Dont worry about timing it for the moment. Make a mark on the body in line with the brass tip of the rotor arm. Now lift the distributer out and watch the rotor arm turn. Remember which way it is turned. Without disturbing it, make another mark for it's new position. Turn the shaft till the rotor is pointing at the stud for the number one cylinder in the cap and the arms of the trigger wheel are opposite the stator arms. Now turn the rotr through the same number of degrees and in the same direction as the rotor turned when you took it out. As you feed the distributer into the engine, the rotor should turn back to the firing position for the number one cylinder. If the arms of the trigger wheel are not quite lined up with the arms of the stator, turn the BODY slightly to line them up before you tighten the clamp. Check again that the rotor is pointing to the number one cylinder stud.

With a contact breaker distributer you follow the same procedure except that instead of lining up the trigger wheel with the stator you turn the shaft till the rotor is pointing at the stud in the cap for the number one cylinder and the points are just about open.

This timing will give you a setting near enough to start the engine and you can do the finer tuning with a strobe lamp. As a starting point try the timing with an advance of 8 degrees or 9 degrees before TDC but depending on the camshaft it may be anything from 6 - 12 degrees before TDC."