Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Camcorder Mounts

luddites7

I have a Panasonic NV-GS30B camcorder unfortunately it does not have AV in so I cannot use the bullet cam setup most people have gone for, therefore I am looking at buying a suitable mount for the camera to attach to the Rollbar

I was really after part numbers and suppliers for mounts that other members have used - also does anyone know a good supplier of MC protectors (27mm)

Thanks

Jason

Ive used a "RAM" mount onto the roll bar with great success. These consist of a hard rubber ball bonded to a steel clamp (various designs). Basically one is attached to the roll-bar (U-bolt type) and another to the camera (standard thread). An adjustable arm connects the two. Total cost about £30. I use a similar setup to mount my Garmin GPS to my motorbike's handlebars.

Theyre American, but there is a UK supplier. Can't remember who, but a websearch should show

The Manfrotto stuff at B-Hague is very good quality, but a few tips for you to take note of:

1) ALWAYS use tie wraps as a second restraint for your camera. Through the wrist strap and round the roll bar.

2) ALWAYS check the tightness of ALL fixings after EVERY session. If I had a penny for every time I've come in with the camera at drunk angles...

3) Buy yourself a UV filter for the lens. These are clear filters that screw into the lens (or on some cameras, push on). If something hits the lens, it'll take the UV filter but probably not the lens.

Do NOT think that thiings won't hit the lens. I have some interesting shots of the last seconds of numerous insects on the 30mm lens of my camera!

UV filters are 10 quid or so. A busted lens and you may as well write off the camera.

4) Always check the integrity of your camera's case regularly.

The mounts and the anti-shake on cameras make it seem that these things are vibration free, but they most definitely are not. Many modern cameras have plastic bodies around their metal tripod mounts, and the vibrations can, and do, cause these to crack (I can show you my Sony DCR-PC9 if you're a non-believer).

If you can afford a sports housing for your camera (if one is available), it would be a good investment.

5) Don't let any of the above stop you putting the camera on the car. It's great fun and even the most non-car person amongst my mates was fascinated by the footage!

6) Get yourself an external mic as the onboard one will give horrid sound through wind noise. One of the freebies that come with PCs work if you're not using a bullet cam. Blue-tac'd to the passenger front bulkhead (inside the cockpit) gives awesome sounds (induction, exhaust and gearbox) and little or no wind noise.

Edited by - Scuffnut on 21 Apr 2004 18:55:00