Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sump Guard?

Ian Humphris

I've just had a cracked sump replaced on a K during a 12,000 mile service at Caterham, it cost about £260 including VAT. This didn't include any labour cost as the sump had to come off to replace the foam baffle anyway. It would have cost a lot more if I'd hit it harder and lost all the oil !!

C7 KAV

I am an alloy (stainless steel)fabricator by trade, and although I cant take on the work myself, it looks pretty straight forward fab, if the fabricator was having the guard lazer cut then it would be possible to loose a fair amount of weight by cutting holes in the "wing" area of the guard, it doesnt protect anything here and there wouldnt be to much loss of strength if useing 5mm ally, when I was riding trials bikes(when they had twin shocks and no disc brakes)we used dural for the sump guards much stronger than ali for the same weight, dont do any ali work now though, what about titanium, could get thickness down to 2mm and you get lovely sparks 😬

• 2 months later...

Having just moved to the end of a bumpy country lane and smashed my first sump within days, I'd be very interested in a sump guard. Cost was £150 for parts plus labour (being done as I type)

I have a 1700 supersprint.

Any updates/ The ali version sounds best.

Regards

Steve

What other damage is done on impact, as in do the engine mounts take a bashing as the impact tries to push the engine out of the chassis....?

I guess that is the reason for a good angle so you glide off the top of obsticle...

It still amazes me Caterham don't offer a solution........

David

*smile*

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

When I first got my BDR it had 2 2/4" steel plates welded to the side of the sump which extended doen about 1/2". Acted like a pair of ice skating blades. There was also a piece welded to the bottom front corner. It stopped the sump fracturing but not being hit. Dry sump sorted it properly.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

Curmudgeon in an Elise, (and 7 and Elan)

I missed this thread in April.

After scraping my expensive dry sump pan I decided it needed a bit of protection. I had a stainless steel one made up. It’s a simple plate with two bends giving a gentle slope at the front. This is fixed on the front engine mount bolts and with some rubber bumpers between the plate and the sump pan.

It has got lots of scrapes on it but does the job. I have been thinking about getting a titanium one made to save weight and for the sparks 😬 😬

I just got a metal workshop to make mine up but you could try Ammo at Raceco to get a titanium one done.

Matt

Life begins at 10,000 *cool*

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if that sparkling thing is a good idea with front engine and rear tank.

Might become really exciting if there is a filling spillage, dripping vent or cap *eek*

Gert

Edited by - Slomove on 10 Jul 2004 00:37:12

I started down the road of making enquiries but got sidetracked by another project on my car. Its something I will pick up on again over the next couple of weeks and see if I can get a better price than the £100 that was indicated.

Having put some new gouges on the sump from track use. It has concentrated my mind a little more.

Grant