Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil temperature

Mrs Kipper

I have just had an Apollo tank fitted to my 1.6k ss and for the first time have an oil temperature read out. Question is, what should it be reading 🤔

I took the car out over the weekend (not the warmest of days) and the oil temp ended up reading just under 80, which matched the water temp almost to the degree. Would this be considered to be OK? What temperature could it go up to if when driving the car hard, such as sprints?

A couple of other observations; it's amazing how long the oil takes to get up to temperature (bearing in mind the air temp was only about +5) and there seemed to be a loss of about 1/2 bar in the oil pressure from pre-Apollo readings.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

I think you have answered your own question. It can take 15 miles to warm the oil so your not likely to see full operating temps on a sprint. When I ran an apollo 80 was normal on a varied throttle however on high speed constant throttle on the motorway 100 was not uncommon. On track days I have seen 120 which is too high. I think a laminover is a worthwhile addition.

• Support Team

80 sounds about right for normal running. On warmer days, long blats or track days you could see the oil temperature rise well above the water temperature. On my first warm track day I had oil temperatures of around 120 degrees and the water was well over 100 which, whilst not catastrophic, shouldn't be run like that for any length of time as oil seals could get damaged. Before my next track day I fitted a Laminova oil cooler. The Laminova dumps heat from the oil into the water cooling system so I also upgraded the radiator (Radtec). The other advantage of having the Laminova is that it also heats up the oil more quickly from a cold start.

There have been loads of threads on this in the past if you want to read more.

I also experienced an oil pressure drop after having the Apollo tank fitted - if you fit an oil cooler there will be another slight drop but as long as you get consistent oil pressures it shouldn't be a problem.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

80ish is about right, don't forget that there is 7.5 litres of oil in there now wanting to get warm. My setup is very similar to yours & it takes about 15 miles to get up to working temperature, less on glorious sunny days & more on cold winter blats. Can be a bit frustrating sometimes waiting for it to get warm.

See here for the last debate on the subject.

I've also got an oil cooler fitted that kicks in at 95 so don't have the 'overheating' problems experienced by others.

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬

Stephen.

All seems correct. I had the same loss in pressure when mine was fitted. 80 is normal for everyday but i'm sure you will see the temps rise to 100+ for the oil on trackdays, but probably not for sprints.

Regards,

Martin

Kipper, you're luckey to get up to 80 in this weather. I've got dry sump and oil thermo and in cold weather (-5 to +2) get 50, just. At warmer ambient temp it goes to the mark between 50 & 80 (65?). I'm running 15w/50 Mobil 1. At below zero ambient, a 250 mile journey still failed to get gauge over 50! I've tried to find out the optimum operating temp but have failed. However reading a paper here it would appear to be ok in a wide temprature range.

norman verona

1989 BDR 220bhp

Mem No 2166

Am I a sleaze in an Elise

Kipper

I have also fitted a Laminova as on trackdays the oil temperature was getting up to 120 degrees. Since this has been installed the oil temperature has never exceeded 105 degrees even on the very hot days last summer. It also has the added advantage of warming up the oil quicker, very handy at the sprints and when going for a blat. This year my car will have a dry sump, laminova and apollo *eek*.

See you at Lydden *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Making plans for the 2004 Sprint Season

Oil temperature will get over 100 if the sump is full enough that you're getting significant windage (the crank whipping up the oil). The apollo then removes the air from the foamy oil so all is good. If it gets over 100 when cruising on the road then you have too much oil in there. If it only happens on the track then thats OK as you're revving muc higher than on the road so it will get whipped up a fair bit more.

The only way to keep the oil temps (and therefore parasitic power loss you're experiencing down) is to go to a dry sump. However, its easier to just come in after a dozen laps once the oil has got too hot as the seesion will probably be over. A dry sump is a pretty expensive solution unless you've got an expensive engine to protect.

HOOPY R706KGU Hoopylight R

Thanks guys for all your comments. It seems nothing to worry about at the moment. I don't intend to do any track days this year and will stick to sprints and hillclimbs. May be consider the Laminova for next year's upgrade list.

Mark, look forward to seeing you at Lydden.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.