Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Filling the diff *on* the car...

Myles

Erm, as part of my tx investigations... I had a poke at the diff (de dion) and was wondering how to fill it in situ...

...is it ok to pump oil in via the breather tube? *I* can't see why not - as if it is designed to let oil out, it should also let oil in... 😳

My problem is that because the boot had honeycomb protection, I can't easily go in from the top - and I have successfully tested getting an oil can to the breather tube...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

How you gonna know when it's at the right level, since that is when it starts coming out the filler plug *confused* 🤔

IMHO if it hasn't been coming out the breather, then don't worry, the level in there will be unchanged. In real life the stuff never really requires changing as it does not get contaminated with combustion products etc. like the engine oil.

Paul

Thanks Fred... ...erm, where the h*ll is that? *wink* I felt around, blind, but didn't find anything obvious... And I, um, already gave it a go 😳

Paul - - yes, I see what you mean - but when I tried it, oil went in nicely for a while until splop! - I had my first 'oil in the face, big disgrace...' moment... *eek*

I'd have thought it would sort itself out after a few hard corners anyway

*confused* *wink*...

There did seem to be a little leakage from somewhere (few dribbles on the bottom of the diff - assuming this wasn't due to me spraying GT85/WD40 type products after washing the car...)

Edited by - Myles on 21 Feb 2004 17:58:26

Oh, just found this:

The other cause maybe that you have too much oil in the diff - there is a filler nut half way down the rear of the diff , remove and check the level - the oil should be the same level as the nut (with the car level )
by Dave Jackson...

...oh well - I guess I can undo the nut and let it settle before I next drive it???

Nick (and everybody) -fear not!

I got the car back up on stands today, located and undid the filler plug and let the excess ( 😳) pour out...

It should be fine now - and I'm in the process of writing up an illustrated how-to for my site so that it's easier for other blunderers to get right *wink* *tongue*

Thanks.