Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater intake \ Air Intake

PACR

I'm sure I've seen the Heater intake used as a cool, 'high' pressure induction intake with a box sitting where the heater usually sits. Has anyone found any (great) benefits from this? For the cost (time really) of knocking together an ally box, relocating the filter into it and running some alu trunking to the throttle body it seems like it could be cheap power - as long as it doesn't just suck in the hot air that's been vented further down the bonnet! It's a K-Series.

PACR

FROM http://www.gmecca.com/byorc/dtipsaerodynamics.html

"Now, as the air flows over the hood of the car, it's loses pressure, but when it reaches the windscreen, it again comes up against a barrier, and briefly reaches a higher pressure. The lower pressure area above the hood of the car creates a small lifting force that acts upon the area of the hood (Sort of like trying to suck the hood off the car). The higher pressure area in front of the windscreen creates a small (or not so small) downforce. This is akin to pressing down on the windshield. "

Theory is that over the main section of the bonnet there is low pressure (i.e. where hot air exhausts from under bonnet through louvers) but in front of the screen is an area of higher pressure. I'm not too sure if there's any practical benefit in relocating the air intake from it's position under the, in theory, low pressure area of the bonnet 'surrounded' by warm air to where it can be fed with cool, higher pressure, air. I know someone has done it, whether it was worth the effort or not would be interesting to find out. I suppose the best bet is make one, try it with and without and if it works keep quiet and hope it's not outlawed in the new 'standard induction system' rules for the sprints....

Piers

Piers