Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle Body throttle linkage

Tony C

Although I understand the standard throttle cable can be used with throttle bodies, the connection of the cable to the arm on the TB's is a teeny tiny little bit of a lash-up IMHO.

I've been looking at the Jenvey throttle linkage, but at 120 pounds it seems a bit on the expensive side for what it appears to be. Its engineering does look good though.

It's suggested in the Jenvey literature that the return spring on the throttle bodies can be supplemented by a "return" spring on the throttle pedal. I'm not too happy with that because you can't push a cable *eek*

I'm concerned with the possibility of the throttle butterfly's getting stuck open which would be minimised by the 120 quid Jenvey throttle linkage, but it still seems to be a lot of money.

I suppose I could add a couple of tension springs beneath the TB lever or alternatively a lost motion pull cable to use in a stuck open throttle situation 😬

Does anyone have any experience in this area that can offer their findings or advice 😬

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Hi Tony and hello again PRS (met in Burgundy last year if you remember). When I fitted my Jenveys, I also fitted a Bernard Scouse air box obtained from DVA (aka Dave Andrews aka Oilyhands). The latter came with the bits for mounting the throttle cable etc. It might be worth contacting Dave to see if you can get hold of the throttle linkage bits without buying the whole kit.

SV 52 CAT - moles fly -

Thanks Mole - I ordered the airbox last week and am waiting to see what the kit includes before I actually do anything about the throttle cable connection.

It's not so much the outer cable attachment/routing I'm concerned with so much as the attachment of the inner to the lever on the TB's.

Just trying to think ahead - it may be that the airbox kit will include fittings to give an elegant solution 😬

I'm thinking along the lines of a clevis (fork end) fitting I can attach to the inner cable with a pin to attach it to the TB lever. That will give me straight pull on the lever. Maybe a trip to the local bicycle shop will help.

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Tony - I think you'll be OK - my kit came with all the bits required and it works a treat!

Phil - have a good time - we're doing Peru this year (not in the se7en ☹️). Probably back to France 2005! BTW I think it was St-Jean-de-Vaux.

SV 52 CAT - moles fly -

When I first fitted TBs I made my own linkage which was very similar to that sold with the airbox kit.

Later I fitted a jenvey unit and the difference is obvious because it uses a profiled cam that gives a charactorised opening such that it takes larger foot movements at low power to move the spindle than it does at near full throttle.

It may be 120 pounds but nothing changes the feel of the engine conrol as much.

Since that time I have spoken to developers of fly-by-wire systems who try to build in the same progressive opening giving sensitivity at the low end and little foot movement after 60% open

Thanks Tony - I guess you get what you pay for. I don't mind getting value for money 😬

I'll wait to see what I get with the airbox kit before making a final decision - ha'peth of tar, and all that.

I have Jenvey's lever type linkage which I am not that satisfied with. The main issue is that the cable's angle from the sleeve mounting point to the lever is only correct at one given throttle position. I think Jenvey can supply a wheel type which should take care of this.