Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tintop Turbo 'whistling'

Ian B

Thought I'd run this past the collective *wink*

In the last few days I've noticed a very high pitched, low volume, whistle from the tintop (old P-reg Citroen 1.9D Turbo).

Not noticed it before, and just concerned it mught be an early wallet warning?

Was going to change it soon anyway so hope it's nothing too serious.

Any ideas anyone?

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider 😬 (and not very well at all ☹️)

Sounds like you might have a loose turbo pipe or a split pipe. Check all the jubilee clips that hold on the various pipes that circulate the air through the turbo. I had one work loose last year and it was only just hanging on and it was noisy. A few months later I had a clip snap and a pipe blew clean of the manifold. There was an enormous whistle and a large cloud of black smoke when that happened so I couldn't miss it *smile*

A whistling turbo can be bad sign or can be qwuite OK.

I believe that cars using conventional dump valves it is quite OK to hear the sound of the turbo.

Cars whihc dump excessive boost via diverter valves however, it is normally a sign of turbo damage - bent compressor vanes or run bearings.

As for your oilburning frogmobile I don't know what type of boost control it has, so cannot offer model specific advice.

Thanks for the suggestions.

It turned out to be a failing weld in the exhuast just before the Cat. This was confirmed when there was a loud clunk as the weld failed completely whilst waiting stationary in a queue for a level crossing!

Still, I couldn't hear so much of the whistle after that, mostly blowing exhaust!

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider 😬 (and not very well at all ☹️)